Comme des Garçons (Hong Kong)


comme des garcons hong kong under the ground
Hong Kong people aren't just fashionable - they're very fashion-forward. I know that the number of times I've complained about the sheer amount of big name logo branded flagships around the city might have given the unfair impression that locals actually buy this stuff, but as I've mentioned before, the glitzy stores are mainly there to cater to mainland Chinese tourists wanting to spend a bit of money on luxury items they can't get back home. The Hong Kong crowd? Well, they've come to appreciate the slightly less mainstream yet ultimately stylish choices - many of them offered by retail giant I.T. who has given the city everything from Gareth Pugh to Christian Wijnants to A.P.C. Brands that may be hard to find in any city, yet can easily be sourced in Hong Kong. In addition, I.T. has done locals a favor by running the franchises of some of the hottest names in fashion, including flagships for Isabel Marant, Tsumori Chisato, Maison Martin Margiela, Ann Demeulemeester and of course Comme des Garçons. The latter three used to be wedged into quaint colonial style buildings in Central's On Lan Street, which pretty much made this area shopping heaven. Unfortunately, as these structures were approved for demolition, Margiela and Comme des Garçons have since moved, but still remain neighbors in an even more prominent location a few blocks away.

comme des garcons hong kong
SS10 looks from Comme des Garçons (images: style.com)

If there's any person out there who would like to see herself as an anti-establishment figure, it's probably Rei Kawakubo. One who is cited as being every designer's big hero and visionary but who herself always remains critical of the fashion industry and the business that surrounds it. No doubt a savvy business woman herself, she has often complained about the big glamorous boutiques on large shopping avenues, which means she probably just adores 80% of Hong Kong's shopping landscape (yes, I'm being sarcastic). Her goal of creating 'anti-flagships' started with the Guerilla Stores (I reviewed the last of its kind in Glasgow last year), then Dover Street Market, which puts an entirely different spin on 'concept store' as it basically houses an indoor market filled with designer goods. And lastly there are her own flagships. Like Dover Street Market, they can actually be found in high-end locations, but unlike the large logo flagships, they're still hard to find. Either tucked away in courtyards (Paris) or simply fitted with a very low-key entrance that doesn't scream 'come in!', you will usually still need an address to find one. Hong Kong's version is no different. I only sighted it because of the brightly lit Margiela boutique next door and even then, I wasn't sure if I was looking at a store entrance. All I saw were large vintage photographs on walls, but no clothes... nothing. You see, Hong Kong's CdG boutique is underground...

comme des garcons hong kong
On my way down the stairs... photography galore.

Not surprisingly, this CdG store name is called 'Under the Ground' and in a city where large spaces are very hard to find, Kawakubo has managed the unthinkable: to create a 4400 square foot flagship in the heart of Hong Kong's most prestigious district. Because it's not in a mall and definitely not in your face, she has also still managed to retain the 'cool' factor. Having pushed the envelope in both fashion and retail concepts, Kawakubo isn't content on having every of her flagships look the same either. Much like Balenciaga, every store has a theme and in this case, with the help of Kerim Ragimov's signature prints, the store has been converted into a gallery where you don't just get to admire the works of art that are the clothes, but are automatically immersed in the images surrounding you. In addition, the store layout is spectacular as well. Having finally ventured past the unassuming entrance and the stairway tunnel where I passed a group of swimmers, then a crowd of baseball fans and finally an African tribe at the beginning of the basement, I was greeted by two archways: one that presented a holiday family snapshot by a lake and revealed the menswear section behind it. Another opening lead to the CdG Play section.

comme des garcons hong kong
A tribe near the stairs and the entrance to the menswear section.

comme des garcons hong kong
Larger than life six pack abs? Yes please! (left). A first glimpse at some of the clothes (right).

Different sections and cubicles as well as varying heights of the ceiling were specifically designed to give the impression you're walking through a maze. It's not that easy to get lost though. As with most things CdG the design is quite simple and everything is laid out neatly. I first started out in the menswear section that merged with the Junya Watanabe range. T-shirts were stacked on shelves that formed part of the circular wall and similar racks held dresses and coats. As with most major CdG stores outside Japan, this one stocked the entire range of labels associated with the brand (that's 15 collections in total), so if you're a fan, you'll definitely find something to buy.

comme des garcons hong kong

comme des garcons hong kong
More menswear and some looks from Junya Watanabe.

At the time, I saw mostly FW09 items, though true to Kawakubo's visionary mindset, everything from that season predicted the trends of this one: military looks, sheer fabric and nude colors to name a few. Once I got to the CdG section, I spotted the signature draped coats and shirts, the trompe l'oeil capes, sheer dresses in tulle and chiffon and a lot of khaki. The funky shoes with painted on toes and in leopard print (for both men and women) were abundant, as were the nearby special edition Converse sneakers from the 'Play' range. Moving past the circular shelves, a simple wooden version (next to a group of female boxers) held more accessories for the men.

comme des garcons hong kong
A few Comme des Garçons FW09 looks.

comme des garcons hong kong
Overview of the other end of the room, where wooden racks and more graphic prints could be found.

The most obvious feature though was the exhibition space in the center. To launch the store opening, CdG had collaborated with famed Chinese artist Ai Wei Wei, who designed three porcelain watermelons and matching t-shirts. Only the latter was for sale at the hefty price of around 160 EUR and judging by the large number of shirts still available, not many were falling for the 'limited edition' trick. Nevertheless, it was still interesting to behold all of this in the middle of a store setting.

comme des garcons hong kong
'Watermelon' by Ai We Wei and matching t-shirts.

comme des garcons hong kong
More clothes and prints.

On the other side of the exhibition space, I sighted more menswear, the Tao range and finally a few more special edition items, this time from the 'Jingle Flowers' range, which included everything from plastic dolls, toy animals, snow globes filled with flower petals and wooden chairs to t-shirts and wallets. Staff was (as is typical in Hong Kong) very attentive and helpful. Add to the fact that they were all decked out in CdG, they also looked way cooler than most people in the store, which might probably be a great motivation for some to splurge on an item, if only to look a little more cutting-edge. I will however say that as crazy as some of the stuff may seem, CdG is a lot more wearable than you'd think as long as you know how integrate it into your existing wardrobe and don't try to emulate a runway look.

comme des garcons hong kong
The circular section towards the middle (or as accessed via the other entryway).

comme des garcons hong kong
The 'Play' range in fibre glass shelves and placed on white benches.

My last stop was the center area where the majority of the 'Play' items (i.e. the more affordable stuff) was stocked. Judging by the larger amount of shoppers here, I'm guessing it's also a great place to get gifts as a last-minute present. The signature heart print could be found on shirts, wallets and totes. Anyone who missed out on shopping in Dover Street Market could get DSM branded items (though I think at a slight surcharge). And if you don't get a chance to shop offline at all, the DSM e-shop stocks a large amount of 'Play' and other special products as well.

comme des garcons hong kong
Wooden shelves with the familiar graphic prints in the center(left) and the comparably white cash desk (right).

comme des garcons hong kong
Items from the 'Jingle Flowers' range, incl. wooden seats, tees, dolls and toy animals.

Despite the fact that the entire area was underground, the store still had an airy vibe and the graphic prints definitely added to a more 'outdoor' atmosphere despite some of the stark white interiors. Even if CdG isn't a local brand, it's definitely worth checking out simply because I've found every one of the stores to be so different from the other (hence the reason I keep blogging about them). And more importantly, it does make for a nice change from the numerous branded flagships you'll see all over town once you do emerge from Rei Kawakubo's subterranean world.

comme des garcons hong kong
SS10 looks from Junya Watanabe (images: style.com)

comme des garcons hong kong
SS10 looks from Tao (images: style.com)

Address: 10 Ice House Street, Central, Hong Kong
Opening Hrs: Mon-Sun: 11:00-20:00


70 comments:

  1. I love how you tell stories about these stores. Stories in the sense of fairy-tales actually !
    Really, it's so nice to take the time to read you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely feel the "cool" factor! Fabulous pics and review, darling!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I mentioned in an earlier comment, I was amazed at the sheer duplication of designer boutiques during a stopover in Hong Kong in February! (All empty interestingly which might indicate fewer might do better business!)

    btw. Last week I posted about Maison Martin Margiela (that sold to Diesel) - and the company's comment that the designer is "here and not here"!

    Great post - I liked the CdG store a lot!

    XOXO LOLA:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. see, and so many people think, that you shouldn't judge a book my its cover. oh, yes, you definitely should!

    just don't forget to judge the substance, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love this store. I spent an hour going through stuff there especially the Junya Watanabe stuff. I love the layout and the amazingly dressed staff.

    Loved MMM next door too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I love it and its story too. J'adore the watermelon idea. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hong kong is absolutely on my list of places i really want to visit before i die, look how amazingly fashion forward they are! ive always admired their risks and creativity.

    have a fabulous week lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The underground retail space, the photography, the artwork--this definitely sounds like an intriguing store from a very thought-provoking designer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always been very curious about the store! I think the store layout is very neat and interesting and yet not intimidating at all. I love to visit Hong Kong one day! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going shopping! Your posts always make me feel that way after reading and going through all the pictures lol. Seriously, the details and the story behind it made me want to go shop there now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you lovely! Hope you had a wonderful Easter :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. brilliant writeup. you gotta give to creative minds for how they work. i realised i've missed a few 'underground' stores when i was in harajuku. my friend's niece wore the play tee and it's really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Haute-World,

    Many thanks for this lovely post.
    I do love the Comme des Garcons label for their interesting designs.

    Hope you are having a great week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love CDG too!! I am happy that you also gave the E shop of CDG! the last time i went to HK and i failed to check out the CDG and made me regret.

    I am really happy you post this fabulous write up of CDG. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It boggles my mind that such beautiful spaces exist in the world and I have yet to visit any of them! All your posts on Hong Kong make me want to go there badly!
    ps, thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog the other day, they really meant a lot to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. comme des garcons is such a unique line, it seems as though it's flagship does it justice! it also seems as though my jealousy of your fashiony travels will never die. haha. hope u are well! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Comme de Garcons, one of the first designers I ever really fell for x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an interesting store concept! Like so many I'm a big admirer of Rei Kawakubo, although sadly I've never found anything that would suit me. (btw, DSM I certainly the prettiest market I've ever seen.)
    Thank you for your message. I'd love to! I'll email you this evening so we can organise someting. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bonjour,
    You have the unique ability to describe everything so weel, I'm ready to pack my bags and head off to Hong Kong. Thanks for coming by to visit. Yes isn't the sunshine in Paris wonderful, finally!
    Wishing you a good day,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will check out this shop when I'm in Hong Kong next time! It's an amazing post and definitely made my appetite!

    Hope you having a lovely week, cheers: Evi

    ReplyDelete
  21. I *heart* Comme de Garcons but I was actually surprised to see that their store is so simple because the collections are always so quirky and eccentric. Not to say I don't like it though.
    Fabulous post! =)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always hear great things about hong kong. Not sure i'd ever go there but i would like too. Anything fashion forward is my kind of deal.

    ReplyDelete
  23. so cool store!
    LOVE HK! It must be great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooooooh, i love the idea of an underground shop! that is just fab. and this one lives up to the hype. love the layout, the curved walls, the display cases/shelves, and the art! how fab is all that?! and the clothing looks very interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE cdg. the designs are amazing.
    thanks for your sweet and reassuring comment on my last post- it means a lot to me.
    have a fabulous day, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing! Love those weird and quirky watermelons. i haven't been to this store yet but did stop by a men's only store in Central. you're right about the sales people looking impecaably chic.

    Sooo true about people from Hong Kong being fashion forward. When they get it right, it's terrific. Contantly inspired while I am here.

    Halfway through my trip already!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I want one of those watermelons! So cool. I also can't believe this shop is underground. SO fantastic! The clothes also seem wonderfully wearable!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very interesting - I like the minimalist approach, but not sure about the photos on the wall. Did you find them fitting as you stood in the space? CdG should have contacted me and we'd be selling some shirts! Only kidding. Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've never been to a CdG store but this one does look really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi! Have left a little award for you over at my placeThe Johnson Diaries
    Hope you like that sort of thing!

    Love your blog - always great inspirational posts! That's why I'm a follower!

    Have a lovely day!

    XOXO LOLA:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Everything within the shop is so stark and minimalist. Very avant-garde. I absolutely adore the interior! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I cannot wait until I go to Hong Kong. So envious that Liv of A Beautiful Life is there right now.

    Love all the photography in the shop. Makes me want to plaster my living room wall with oversized shots.

    *Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous pics. Love the six-pack abs comment!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's just as awesome as Dover Street Market. I love how people in HK dress, they can pull off really cool styles that would look weird on Europeans

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm loving how she retained the "cool factor" and the watermelons....I die!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love that even on hangers you can tell that the clothes are special. Love CdG.

    ReplyDelete
  37. what an amazing looking store! the visuals are beyond amazing, it looks so high end, yet inviting to shop in. so much to look at:)

    ReplyDelete
  38. so interesting. i've loved cdg for ages. i finally bought a coat last year. i agree, it is more wearable than you'd think.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love your posts! You not only learn about fashion, stores but about other culture lifestyles. Thanks!!

    xoxo
    B* a la Moda

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such a juicy celebration of color! Perfect to kick an eventful spring.

    ReplyDelete
  41. That is a cool concept that it's like walking through a maze. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Amazing photos...I was in Hong Kong when i was lot younger i couldn't remember they have all these awesome store back then...Thanks for sharing darling!

    www.dancinginchiffon.blogspot.com
    www.dancinginchiffon.blogspot.com
    www.dancinginchiffon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I wish I could go to Hong Kong, those watermelons are enough to make anyone want to go. And the whole idea of a maze is intruiging, I'd like my store, if I were ever to have on, to be like that!
    Libby
    http://fashionconfectionairy.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. One of my favorite thought-provoking designer!
    Love her perfume line very much~
    Lovely weekend darling!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  45. cool images, it looks awesome
    Rianna Bethany xxx

    ReplyDelete
  46. another fantastic review, i am so envious of your travels :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hong Kong sounds amazing, I really want to go!

    http://flowergirlfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow another great store ! I love the collections , and the watermelon is just cute ! Haha . Nice one dear . Have a nice weekend ! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  49. Great post!
    I always love smelling the fashion scene in Hong Kong. They are always chasing chasing chasing and therefore it's always so vibrant there!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Amazing!!! I love the space and I love the lighting. Would definately love to shop there. I have a tremendous admiration for Rei Kawakubo and I have to say it felt great to see the hat I worked on for her Spring-Summer 2010 Collection in this post.:-)))
    Thank you so very much for your kind and wonderful wishes on the opening of my Atelier. :-) I promise to make a post with lots of pictures about it very soon.I will look forward to see you as my guest!:-)))Wishing you wonderful, sunny and happy weekend!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  51. love love love CDG - the store looks great

    Merci beaucoup for your lovely comment darling =]

    Stay safe and chic ma chérie,
    English Rose x
    http://iamanenglishrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. Can I just say how much I appreciate your store insights? I find it so interesting to see the different ways in which stores choose to present their collections to the public.

    I've never really taken any notice of Comme Des Garcons before, I'll admit, but I really like how they've used massive photo prints and watermelons against an otherwise all-white canvas. Store layouts really can be a work of art in itself.

    - Anna Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  53. great photos! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  54. wish to go !
    wish to go !
    wish to go !
    *°*°*°*°*°*°
    thx for sharing*

    ReplyDelete
  55. I've never been to a Comme des Garçons store but looking at these pictures I think it's great!!!!

    -The Trendy Fashionista
    http://thetrendyfashionista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. Rei kawakubo is incredible is absolutley my favorite designer, i was having palpatations when i went to the store in beijing(and later, Paris)
    this really isn't the appropiate venue for me to profess my adoration of everything cdg, but aren't the f/w 09 pieces incredible?
    i have a sweater from the collection and i love it

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hi hun, I know you will find this as a shock, but i am back blogging again :-)
    I am looking forward to seeing you in 2 weeks time!
    p.s great post as always

    ReplyDelete
  58. Most certainly an edgy line. I admire CdG's photographic walls and how they've wrapped them around the walled fixtures. I would suspect shopping @ the underground store would be like sneaking into a inner-sanctum. A bit of design holiness so to speak. Another thorough, knowledgeable review HW. Thank you & hope you are fabulous as always? xx

    ReplyDelete
  59. Very informative post as always! I would love to visit this store, I'm so glad you introduced me to it. Very different and progressive, it seems.

    Happy Monday! ♥
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  60. The interior of that shop is absolutely stunning. I like it so much. And those coats are so extraordinary
    *Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  61. the layout is neat, and ungerground store... there's some sense of fairy tale to it I think. omg I loveeee converses in asia, they're so much more colorful and fun than ones you get here. Yeah I agree with you on Mischa Bartin and her mom jeans, haha for someone who spends so much money on clothes that she's almost broke she sure picks unflattering items!

    ReplyDelete
  62. love these photos
    you always showcase your subject so well!
    you have a lovely blog, keep it up
    thanks for sharing as always, darling!
    and thanks for your kind comments

    -cma
    COSMICaroline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  63. ooh, so youre trooping around HK this time?! so near my country! you should stop by here:) ooh, and I love CDG.. their store is exactly what id expect it to be--clean with a side of quirky!:)


    <3
    eden

    ReplyDelete
  64. I really enjoyed reading your review :D Looked like you had a nice time !

    http://cupcakesarefashion.blogspot.com/

    XOXO, C.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Wuua, amazing collection and a very nice store. kiss

    ReplyDelete
  66. Great blog, good to see fashion in its natural environment



    Sleekit x

    ReplyDelete
  67. I've been drawn to the CDG label for some time. The asthetic really appeals to my avant garde sensibilities.

    I appreciate the effort it took to compose such an informative and lovely post. It's quite nice to have a virtual tour, only now, I want to see it in person.

    And thank you for the insightful comment on Style Odyssey. I'm glad to have found your blog via your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  68. Oh I would love Hong Kong! Not to mention love gorging myself on all the ridiculously yummy food. 160 EUR for the tee??? Crazy.

    LOL, so much I want to write but I'm so darn distracted by that outie on that guys abs. Hideous! Though Drollgirl is probably loving the outie, haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate every comment, unless it's spam (which will be deleted) and hope you'll visit again soon.

You can now also follow Haute World on Twitter @haute_world!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.