
I've always had a soft spot for Comme des Garçons, rivaled only by my fascination with certain Belgian designers. There's something about the unconventional nature of such labels, not just the designs themselves, but the anti-fashion philosophy, that I still find refreshing in a day and age when big flashy flagships and blinged up clothes seem to be there to distract rather than represent any sort of concept. Even though Comme des Garçons isn't originally a French brand, I'm sure Parisians would argue otherwise considering they'll happily adopt anything Japanese as their own (Kenzo, Yohji Yamamoto and thus Limi Feu are in the same boat). Then again, a label with a French name, who's designer has a residence in the French capital and shows at Paris Fashion Week is probably enough to make this brand local enough. In any case, it is well worth visiting if you're ever in Europe, considering it's only one of two stores left on the continent that's dedicated to all things CdG.
Earlier this year, I was happy to stumble upon a Comme des Garçons Guerilla Store. These tiny stores in non-fashion capitals usually housed in old warehouses or sheds were Rei Kawakubo's answer to creating an anti-flagship. Unfortunately I just learned that it recently closed down, meaning that all Guerilla Stores have disappeared for now. It's no secret that Kawakubo is a genius: she had no formal training in fashion design (she studied fine arts and literature), so she conveys her ideas verbally to her patternmakers. After working as a freelance stylist, she founded the CdG label in 1973 and in 1981 moved to Paris to present her collections during Fashion Week, causing quite the stir with her black, distressed, often unconventionally structured architectural pieces. Of coure these days you'll also find slightly more toned-down items in her collection, along with a huge selection of other CdG sub-labels ranging from 'Shirt' to 'Play' to 'Tricot'. What's truly remarkable is how strongly involved Kawakubo is in all aspects of her brand, although I'm still surprised a CdG homepage doesn't exist. Her artistic vision encompasses many other areas of design, from graphics to packaging, to costume and exhibition design, to furniture, and to the architecture of her retail spaces. She has pushed the envelope when it comes to retail design, not just with quirky concepts such as the Guerilla Stores, but the most magnificent example is probably still Dover Street Market, the London concept store that puts all others of its kind to shame.
It might seem slightly hypocritical that given her criticism of typical luxury flagships, Dover Street Market and the regular CdG boutiques are actually huge, impressive and situated in fairly prestigious areas. But unlike many other flagships, she prefers to utilize a minimal conceptual design that while striking, also lets the products shine. And in most cases, despite the vast floor space of these flagships, the entrances somehow still manage to remain hidden or are so unobtrusive, you'd walk by if you didn't know the exact location of the store. The Paris outlet is the perfect example. I've known people who've visited several times but never knew the CdG store existed even if they walked along the fashionable rue Faubourg St.-Honoré more than once. There's only a small sign near the main gate, then you have to pass through one courtyard, leading into another, where you'll finally find the of the store on the right.
The first time I entered this store, I thought I'd accidentally walked into an art gallery. The entire store is kept in red and white. The only furniture you'll find are long rectangular benches and wooden cubes used to display products. The store concept is Kawakubo's of course, who called upon her long-time contractor Takao Kawasaki to help her with this project. According to the designer "making a shop is like making clothes: you need to excite and energize people. There has to be the same shock and sense of surprise" adding that "red is the new black... black is no longer strong and has become harder to use. Red looks most beautiful in fiberglass", referring to the fiberglass walls, furniture and the large counter near the entrance.
The store has a bit of an L-shape, so once you enter, you're in a large horizontal area that leads into a bigger space towards the left. I started browsing the section dedicated to some of the more casual clothes, including 'Noir', 'Shirt' and a few 'Play' items. Many colorful bags were on display on the center table, several of them were non-CdG items from the World Archive range, which are also stocked in Dover Street Market. There were also a few cute signature polka-dot pieces and colorful tartan messenger bags, which were the only splashes of color you could find in the area. I understood how smart it was to make everything red and white, since most of the clothing and accessories have accents of (other) colors or are kept in black.
Near the main counter/cash desk you'll find smaller accessories such as wallets, as well as perfume. If it's fragrances you're looking for though, CdG also has it's own perfume flagship near Place de Vendôme. The men's area was categorized by sub-label as well, starting with the dressier clothes first - and some very bizarre shoes - then moving on to the casual pieces.
The largest section was dedicated to the women's main line, as well as the collections by Kawakubo's protégés Junya Watanabe and Tao Kurihara. When I went, a lot of the SS09 range was still available, including Watanabe's colorful denim pieces and the cute bolero jackets by Tao.
I also spied more of the chiffon tutu dresses and entire racks of the more structured clothing. If you're wondering who would wear some of the more unconventional pieces, I can tell you that while I was browsing, a woman wearing a padded black architectural CdG dress entered the store and started looking around as well. It was a bit 'too much', but she looked stunning in the outfit. In fact, the store was fairly busy and had a relatively relaxed atmosphere, so while I'm sure some would still consider it intimidating because of the stark decor, it's actually more pleasant to shop than some of the more typical flagships, such as Givenchy or Lanvin down the street.
I'm not going to bore you with every item I saw, because to be honest, I can't even remember half the stuff I sighted. The selection is huge, since every single CdG sub-label is represented here. I would like to note that there's also a 'chill-out-zone' on the other side of the boutique, where more of the 'Play' items can be found. It tends to be closed, but you can ask them to open it up for you, if you need something. The chill-out area consists of red cubes that glide across the floor (via remote I assume).
So now that I've told you exactly where the store is and how to find the entrance, there's no excuse not to visit the flagship when you're in town. It makes for a nice change from the LV, Gucci, Prada type of shopping you'll find in the area.
Address: 54 rue Faubourg Saint-Honoré, 75008 Paris
Opening Hrs: Mon-Sat: 11:00-19:00

Add & Bookmark














I don't know. Maybe a little TOO unconventional for me. I kind of like the F/W 09 lest most dress.
ReplyDeleteAnd, what exactly do you mean by not like US Vogue's coverage/layouts? I'm curious.
Hello my sweet,
ReplyDeletewoooow - what an amazing post!! I love CdG very much! Gorgeous, gorgeous outfits! Of course you can't wear a rw outfit as an outfit on the street - but just as Hanh & Nini are showing it perfectly to match one of the items into a casual or an evening outfit - BOMBASTIC!
How was your week, love?
Sorry for being slowly in my answer. I've visited the grave of my sister on Tuesday and once again it has hit me badly. This time it didn't take so long as it often does/did. However - that's why I was a little bit slowly. I hope you don't mind.
Wishing you and your Mr. a wonderful sunny and pleasant weekend!!
Big kiss and much love, sofie
I have yet to own a CdG piece :(
ReplyDeleteIt does look like an art gallery and I love the button details on the Tao jacket you featured.
Happy weekend! xx
Wow that store looks like a dream. I'm going to be fantasizing about it all day now. Sigh. Lol.
ReplyDeleteHi there-oh what an awesome post, you've brought the boutique to life and your review and photos are totally fabulous!! I love CdG, but only have one piece, which is a tee which I thrifted for 99p, LOL!! I'd love one of their more outlandish pieces, maybe one day!!
ReplyDeleteI thought those were women's shoes - not men's. Gorgeous review. I love the way everything is so pristine and sleek. Very modern! :)
ReplyDeleteI'd love to visit this store but maybe I should make a trip to DSM as that is a little closer. I still haven't been yet...probably because I know I won't be able to afford a single thing. Worth a look though right? I love those men's shoes! So fun!
ReplyDeletewhimsical, really modern, avangarde etc... I love CdG! :-)
ReplyDeleteXoXo
I would rock a chiffon tutu dress like nobody's business!
ReplyDeleteI love CdG! For my first "What Lola Loves" piece earlier this month, I featured the same suit from its F/W 2009 collection as in yr second pic! So technically & structurally challenging to execute!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog (btw Daniel says hi!) - I'm so glad you did since I've now come across yr great site!
Hope you have a great weekend.
xLOLA:)
PS Am yr newest follower!
ooo i really like these pieces, theyve got a lotta spunk! :)
ReplyDeleteHey Lady! Fabulous review. I like the red and white decor, esp. that fun chill-out zone. I'm also still a fan of tulle dresses. :) Hope you are doing well!
ReplyDeletexo, Becs
I love the freedom in these pieces... amazing!
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing this :)
have a lovely weekend, darling!
x
What a wonderful post ~ I too love Comme de 'Garcons and remember once seeing a fabulous little cropped double breasted jacket. When I went back a day later I found that it had gone.
ReplyDeleteThe boutique review and the photos are great and thanks for sharing.
Enjoy your weekend
Hugs
Carolyn
I NEED some CdG in my life. I have always lusted from a far but really...it's TIME. haha.
ReplyDelete"art gallery" Love that...
I hope you have a great weekend my love! Any plans?!
Comme des Garcons is one of my absolute favorite brands! Everything is just so unexpected but perfectly crafted. Thanks for posting about this. I have been to Paris so many times and had no idea this store was there. I will definitely check it out next time I'm there!
ReplyDeleteP.S. These pictures made me desperate to shop... Too bad most of the stores in my area are closed already :(
Have a great weekend!
I have such a soft spot for Japanese& Belgian designers as well.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for posting the Paris flagship. I wish that the Tokyo flagship housed all three collections in one. It would make shopping a lot easier for me when I'm in town!
Amazing!
ReplyDeleteYou are such a wonderful writer!
You have a gift with the words!
Kisses
One of my favorite designer followed by Yohji Yamamoto! Appreciate your post darling! ~Fabulous weekend!
ReplyDeletewow great shop ! and love the shoes ! :D
ReplyDeletesuper super appreciate this post-totally agree with what was said, Rei is such a genius and she really holds her own! thank you for these amazing posts.. really take us away and makes us really dream of being there!
ReplyDeletebtw, i couldnt thank you more for your offer. that would be fantastic-- i'd love to converse with you in German! you're right, its driving me nuts as of the moment, but i simply refuse to give up. every bit of help counts!
much love
eden
thanks for the education. i didn't know about the guerilla stores. i remember they kept moving when CdG was still available in singapore. i never even got to any stall. more likely people kept the info to themselves so that by the time plebians like me heard about it, it's long gone.
ReplyDeletethe moving cubes are quite a vision. did you try chilling out there?
the structure of those pieces are amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteand that store looks like a sight
love it
Hello my dear, thank you for your lovely wishes on my blog while i was being a little tourist :)
ReplyDeletewow, i absolutely love CdG for their unique pieces! I would never wear CdG from head to toe, but i would combine it with other pieces from my wardrobe!
oh, thanks to your review of Brick Lane, i finally went there for a bit of shopping and bought a few things :)
Have a lovely weekend!!
Kisses and hugs
Anna
Love all the red lacquer inside the shop! Fabulous post and pics, darling!
ReplyDeletexoxox,
CC
that tao jacket is AH-MAY-ZING
ReplyDeleteWow, so gorgeous! I need to win the lottery, seriously.
ReplyDeleteI learn something new from you every day. I had no idea CdG wasn't French through and through.
ReplyDeleteI love how sculptural their pieces are. That Tao jacket looks like the type of piece I'd wear all (fast-approaching) fall. It's incredible! With jeans and heels it would look stunning.
* Kelsey
You got me at chill out zone...that's like shopping heaven!! But oh my do I love CdG, it's quirky enough to appeal to just about everybody in some form or another. The boutique looks wonderful, the red and white is so striking, and yet not so overpowering on the eye. I am still saving my milk money for one of the embossed wallets from Dover Street Market.
ReplyDeleteHope you're having a beautiful weekend :)
I don't know very much CDG, but I always found the brand very....difficult to define, maybe "out of the fashions limits" (?)....
ReplyDeleteI plan to be in paris for some days in sept, I'll not miss to visit the shop (and Louboutin's par la même occasion!)...
Thanks for sharing this post!
i'd wear those gents shoes! ADORABLE!
ReplyDeletethis is truly wonderful you are writing about her store - so thoroughly written with wonderfully edited photos ... i love that tao jacket, truly innovation based on the historic reference ....
ReplyDeleteI love everything!
ReplyDeletethey are always at the forefront of fashion innovation. i love hearing about designers with no formal fashion education.
ReplyDeletex
www.tittees.blogspot.com
OMG! Thanks to YOU I am able to take FABULOUS FASHION trips to some of the world's most amazing boutiques highlighted with Exquisite details of your knowledge! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR UNIQUE WORLD OF FASHION!!!:)
ReplyDeletep.s. HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND TOO!
Hello there! Thank you for sharing these great photos...that green jacket is fabulous! The Watabe pieces are awe-inspiring.
ReplyDeleteHappy Sunday to you!
hmmm interesting...the last pics especially. remind me of edward scissorhands. no? okay let's forget i said that. haha.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment!
ReplyDeleteThe same with me actually.
I never thought about white lace before but suddenly it's becoming the only thing I want.
I'm going to subscribe to your blog =)
oh can't believe I missed the comme des garcon shop... was in Paris yesterday shitt
ReplyDeletei def have to come on your blogvery more often
xxx
WOW CdG has such an electic shop! I can't believe those shoes are men's!!!! I thought they were girl's... I love the moving blocks idea. It's pretty cool!
ReplyDeleteclothedmuch.blogspot.com
I'm in love with the unconventional use of tulle and other sheer materials by CdG. Have a skirt, my first CdG piece, that I've loved to death. Great report, as always. I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed by the CdG store here in New York. But this shop is amazing. Hope you enjoyed your weekend!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the lovely comments on my blog, and for sharing these photos. The Tao jacket is TO DIE FOR! Now, I really want a CdG to open up here, or maybe I'm not aware there is one? haha. Take care! xx :)
ReplyDeleteThat looks incredible. I do always enjoy your posts. I hope you've had a great weekend. Take care. Cheers!
ReplyDeletehi lovely!!!! :) another great post! i must say i love the items with tulle! just so pretty!!! how was your weekend? xxx
ReplyDeleteamazing post. i wanna check it out!
ReplyDeletelove all the bags! :)
ReplyDeleteWow that store looks absolutely amazing. Love the white and red contrasts.
ReplyDeletei love how that shop is set out! thankyou for the comment x
ReplyDeletethis is an amazing store & very gallery-esque. i don't own any of their pieces but would love to, i really love the structure & design.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by my blog, and leading me to yours! What a great post. I had no idea that the CdG store was so amazing. I can see why you thought it was an art gallery on your first visit. I have a vintage CdG skirt that I found in a recycle store, and I love it to bits still.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for visiting my blog:) I really like yours:)
ReplyDeleteTessi:)
Those outfits are just so beautiful!
ReplyDeletewhenever i go to a comme des garcons store i always feel as though im in an art museum. the clothes are to be revered!
ReplyDeletei cant wait for you to visit NY and feature some of the stores here!
Pure Couture!
ReplyDeleteKisses and hugs!
Forgot to mention, i will be going back to Brick Lane as i discovered some boutiques that sell some amazing clothes. There was one (can't remember the name) that sold amazing trendy and unique clothes from Japan. They had this amazing exposed zip asymmetric jacket that i want for fall! I just hope the jacket will be there when i go back!
ReplyDeleteHappy Monday dear :)
Higs and kisses
Anna
Happy monday to you in Paris!
ReplyDeleteI have to confess and feel ashamed about myself:
I was not able to find the CDG store when I was last time in Paris ;)
CDG/ Tao or Junya Watanabe... the pieces are always so special.
Saw a few beautiful pieces at yoox and Colette.
Excited to take a look inside the store for the very first time.
THANK YOU ;)
Wishing you a beautiful evening!!!!
at first i hated the look of the store. i think the red tables with the bags threw me off, as they look like banquet tables.
ReplyDeletei am grouchy with cramps, so please forgive.
after looking at more pics, i think i am warming up a bit to the look of the store. i think. ok, i am officially now, as i keep scrolling up and down taking it all in! :)
p.s. love the Junya Watanabe clothing. love it. but my cunt landlord has that same last name and i want to shoot her. not junya, my landlord. oh, i am psycho today so please forgive this horrendous comment.
OMG, you're the sweetest !!
ReplyDeleteYour blog is great, so beautiful and so precious !!!
Thank you for making me discover it, really !
I'll coming back soon !!! ;D
X.o.X.o
I loved reading this and I've subscribed to your blog.
ReplyDeleteThere used to be a CDG guerilla store in my hometown (Ljubljana, Slovenia) a few years ago. I think even if it were actually supposed to run longer than a couple of months, they would have to close it down soon anyway because the market for such fashion here is virtually non-existent. I'm sure local stylists had a blast borrowing clothes for photoshootings though. :D
I'm going to the Dover Street Market store in October. I can't wait!!
THanks for posting this! Always wondered what a Comme store would look like.. I love that studded golden jacket, BTW..=) Enjoyed this post and the tidbits about Rei..=)
ReplyDelete-Mads
fashionisthebestmedicine.blogspot.com
I've never been into the boutique, looks amazing!
ReplyDeletexx-LJ from SOS!
wow it does remind me of an art gallery as well. I do love the red and white theme- hey that's canada's 2 colors hehehe!
ReplyDeleteand yeah it's better not to get in your better half's way while they're doing stuff for you eh?! or else they might get mad and not finish what they were doing LOL
thank you, darling... but i envy your life!! five countries (?!) and all the traveling! you're so glamorous.
ReplyDeletebeautiful post, by the way.
http://www.rocknrollgypsy.com
the thing that struck me the most is all the red in the store! I love it, and even though it may seem stark I definitely agree it would be a lot less overwhelming than shopping somewhere with "stuff stuff stuff" every which way.
ReplyDeleteI adore Comme des Garçons. Thank you for another glorious post!!
ReplyDeleteThese pictures are great! i really love those shoes, espeically the black and white ones
xxx
jealous jealous jealous... so many awesome stuff!! I love those cute ballerina flats!!
ReplyDeleteI love CdG's work as pieces of art, but I couldn't really see myself wearing much of it. Too boring, I guess.
ReplyDeleteHowever, this store looks divine. A chillout room? Very nice.
I was actually there with my GF for not so long ago and must say that the store is super cool and the staff is so kind! I sure recommend everyone to stop by
ReplyDelete