Galeries Lafayette - Haussmann (Paris, France)



I believe this ranks as the most popular department store in Paris, but I have to admit - I find shopping in the main "Mode" building to be quite a pain. Although you'll also find a lot of locals here, Galeries Lafayette is a bit of a tourist trap, probably also due to the Paris maps they issue and that can be found in every hotel lobby.

The interior dome-shaped façade is nice to look at, but once I had gotten over that - 2 seconds later - I got annoyed just trying to find my way around. Shoes, designer clothing and high street brands are not distinctly separated on different floors. This wouldn't be a problem if the store were slightly smaller. But if you're looking for something specific, be prepared to hunt for it... for at least 15 minutes.


Most luxury labels (ready-to-wear) are slightly easier to find, as they have their own sections on the left side of the 1st floor. My biggest headache however was the shoe department where certain brands are lucky enough to have their own sections (e.g. Marc By Marc Jacobs) but other lesser-known brands are clustered side-by-side in one main area together with designer shoes. While browsing, I found some YSL Tributes randomly sitting on an unmarked shelf in a corner.


The thing I do like a lot is the Gourmet department next door, especially if you’re looking for international cuisine and pre-prepared meals. And those with time on their hands should head over to the "Galeries des Galeries" which holds art and design exhibits.

If you do happen to be in the neighborhood, don’t let this post discourage you from checking out this store. The product range is large and I did score a great find here during the sales.

Address: 45 boulevard Haussmann, 75009 Paris
Opening Hrs: Mon-Sat: 9:30-21:00, late shopping on Thu: until 21:00
Galeries Lafayette Homepage

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate every comment, unless it's spam (which will be deleted) and hope you'll visit again soon.

You can now also follow Haute World on Twitter @haute_world!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.