
This post is long overdue considering this happened last month before I left for Tunisia. And even though this has been published on several blogs and websites already, I still wanted to post it on Haute World as I'm a huge fan of Lynch's work and found this installation to be nothing short of amazing.
A while ago, one of Paris' biggest department stores Les Galeries Lafayette invited Lynch to design 11 of their store windows which he based on the theme "Machines, Abstraction and Women". In addition, the store's own gallery on the first floor displayed an exhibition titled "I See Myself", which showcased 70 of his lithographs, with a mini theater offering viewers an opportunity to see some of his short movies. Anyone familiar with Lynch's work knows that his projects will include a unique blend of the bizarre, macabre, beautiful and surreal. This exhibit didn't disappoint.
A while ago, one of Paris' biggest department stores Les Galeries Lafayette invited Lynch to design 11 of their store windows which he based on the theme "Machines, Abstraction and Women". In addition, the store's own gallery on the first floor displayed an exhibition titled "I See Myself", which showcased 70 of his lithographs, with a mini theater offering viewers an opportunity to see some of his short movies. Anyone familiar with Lynch's work knows that his projects will include a unique blend of the bizarre, macabre, beautiful and surreal. This exhibit didn't disappoint.
Heading to the exhibition gallery first, I was immediately struck by the sheer number of pieces on display. All of them were black on white, except for the far wall which displayed a set of lithographs containing red elements. Like most of Lynch's work, not everything will be immediately accessible and even though some might be easier to grasp at first sight (i.e. 'Woman with a Dream'), others are wide open for interpretation (such as 'Two tigers dance by a tree with ladder').
But it's the store windows that proved to be a main attraction. 'Visual merchandising' this was not... the windows didn't include anything the department store sold. It was basically a very elaborate art exhibit. Almost all windows contained moving parts, sound or video, which wasn't just entertaining, but instantly drew you into the world displayed. According to Lynch (courtesy of L'Express): "I've always been fascinated by the sight of women at the windows of department stores. In designing the windows of the Galeries Lafayette, I wanted to show all identities that coexist within the woman of the twenty-first century. The reflection of glass returns an image of blurred passersby. This set of parallel universes is close to my films where the same actress interprets several characters. I designed the sets to be very abstract: cubist landscapes populated by sculptures, machinery, furniture, videos, sounds. I see the windows like a labyrinth - a street museum where you move around clues/markers. A window is a transparent door to the unknown."
"When I was little, my mother made me draw on cloth. I always liked the materials, the fabrics: in Sailor and Lula, I designed the snakeskin jacket for Sailor and for Dune, I commissioned 4 000 costumes ... I feel very close to the world of the couturiers: like them, I am an abstract mind and a craftsman obsessed by detail." ~ Lynch.
Even though I took tons of pics, I made the mistake of going while it was still light outside, and the reflection of the windows made it impossible to capture the overall setting of Lynch's work (although I guess I managed to document the parallel universe he was talking about). So I've decided to post some of the better images taken by more professional photographers as well.
Even though I took tons of pics, I made the mistake of going while it was still light outside, and the reflection of the windows made it impossible to capture the overall setting of Lynch's work (although I guess I managed to document the parallel universe he was talking about). So I've decided to post some of the better images taken by more professional photographers as well.
Window 1: 'Woman with Dream'
The model train was fully functional and drove non-stop along the tracks (image: Le Journal des Vitrines)Window 2: 'Four Seasons'
Window 4: 'Kitchen Scene'

The crying 'egg' featured a moving projection of an eye and tears (top image: lepoint.fr).Window 5: 'Winner or Loser?'
Passersby could press one of the buttons in front of the window to activate the 'game' (image: lepoint.fr).
The video screen showed cars driving along the streets of Manhattan, giving the impression the girl was standing at the top of a skyscraper (image: lepoint.fr).Window 7: 'Blurred Dancer'

Window 8
Window 9: 'Factory with Sparks'
The video displayed exploading fireworks (image: Le Journal des Vitrines).
Window 10

This installation featured a rotating disc in the center and various objects popping out of the panels at various intervals. Click here to see a video.
Window 11: 'Chanteuse'
Unfortunately these windows are no longer on display, but hopefully these images will have given a fairly good impression of what they were like. A banner near the windows quoted Lynch as saying: "The vitrines for me are like jewel boxes and in them are going to be scenes, landscapes with figures having to do with machines, abstractions and women, with sounds, moving parts and lights. I hope there will be a magic to it and room to dream."

Add & Bookmark








wow! is all i can say to this, so amazing. i haven't actually seen any reviews, so i'm glad you have covered it.
ReplyDeleteHappy Monday to you!
ReplyDeleteThese window decorations are amazing.
"Museum goes Department Store". Some of the windows look a little bit bizarre ... like the train.
HAPPY SUNNY WEEK IN PARIS!!!!
I so want to go there now! Thank you for sharing this!
ReplyDeleteWOW. I love this store, and even more so now. Last time I was in Paris there were Christmas displays up in the windows and I thought those were pretty amazing, but these are even more remarkable. Thanks for the report!
ReplyDeletehttp://closetaltar.blogspot.com
Ooooooh, I would like to see this. :-) I love David Lynch, but I don't understand his Mulholland drive movie yet... :-D
ReplyDeleteHave a fresh week, Darling!
XoXo
OMG! I am without words, this exhibit is solely INGENIOUS! I wish I could see it!!!:))
ReplyDeletep.s. Thank YOU for this AMAZING post!
xoxox,
Gerri
this looks like such an interesing event, his work is just so wonderful, I love all the pictures of the displays, looks like a lot of fun!
ReplyDeleteWindow 6 is so realistic - it actually frightens me. I felt as if I were on a ledge just looking at it! :)
ReplyDeleteHi my dear-what a fascinating and incredible exhibition, you always manage to visually bring these things to life so well through your posts! His work is truly amazing, thanks so much for sharing, another outstanding post!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like an amazing exhibition. Definitely a must-see for all Lynch fans.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous "exhibit", darling! I love when fashion and art come together like this. Excellent post!
ReplyDeletexoxox,
CC
This is so "French": to have a great exhibit at a department store of all places on David Lynch. I loved your coverage as I'm obsessed with Lynch's aesthetic as well. Leaving for Thailand tomorrow morning and kind of daunted by all the prep work (lots of open tasks left unfinished til the last minute). I'll heed your advice about the markets-- although I'm a pescatorian, so I'm rather turned off by the insect delicacies that you described. LOL. xx
ReplyDeleteI'm a huge fan too...I almost cried when Lynch & Isabella Roselini broke up...I thought they'd make a perfect couple back then...
ReplyDeleteGreat new week darling! xo*
oh david lynch. he is such a wonder! wouldn't you want to crawl inside his head and discover his thought process? his art is reminding me a bit of dali and magritte, and that is a GOOD thing. he recently had an exhibition in a los angeles gallery, but i didn't get a chance to see the works in person. and of course i am kicking myself now for missing it.
ReplyDeleteLooks fantastic! Love your blog!
ReplyDeleteWow. Just wow. The amazing things you get to see. Mind blowing!
ReplyDeleteEvery pic is more and more interesting!
ReplyDeletemwwass!
Thanks for sharing! This exhib looks totally amazing...
ReplyDeleteI'm not familiar with David Lynch but will look him up now!
The exhibit looks so amazing! I wish I could be there to check it out! Such a great artist! xoxoxox
ReplyDeletei am not familiar with lynch's work but from these photos, it looks very intriguing. thanks for sharing! hope you had a wonderful weekend. xoxo.
ReplyDeletehiiiii lovely!!! good to have you back =)
ReplyDeletewow i love that last photo - so amazing that it has the animations and music to go with it.
hope you have a wonderful week ahead! big hugs <3
What an unbelievably inspiring display. They really get it right in your little city, don't they?
ReplyDelete* Kelsey
What amazing windows, and a brilliant idea to get Lynch to do them!
ReplyDeletegreat post !
ReplyDeleteI made one too where I was at the exhibition one month ago, but yours is more complete !
i like the four seasons one.
ReplyDelete'Girl On a Ledge' is my fav ^.^
ReplyDeletekisses
I love art through and through! What a pleasure to discover these images through you this gray Paris morn'! Merci ma belle!
ReplyDeleteOh, how fantastic! I hadn't heard of this so thanks for giving us a view into it with your images and words. This is yet another reason why Paris is such an incredible city. Lost Highway is probably the one film of his I don't think I'll ever come close to figuring out - b but something tells me that's ok! ♥
ReplyDeleteI am a HUGE fan of David Lynch's work. And he seems to have worked his magic again. These are great images. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeletethank you for sharing dear ! i love this post so so much . ahh how can a person be that creative . lol .
ReplyDeletehave a nice day !
looks like an amazing exhibition!
ReplyDeleteGreat post. These are so amazing. I love them. I've a big fan of David Lynch. It was cool to see his vision here. Thanks for sharing these with us.
ReplyDeletebizarre and amazing stuff.
ReplyDeletethanks for stopping by. we love shoes yet i think we always go back to the same few? there CAN be too many! lol.
Amazing. I'll have to look into this artist more as I've barely heard of him and he looks fascinating!
ReplyDeletehttp://dreamingspiresandoldcartyres.blogspot.com
Hello there,
ReplyDeleteI very much enjoyed your blog!
Please come and visit mine too!!
xoxox
Fantastic post. All of this artwork is simply breathtaking.
ReplyDeletewe're still very glad you posted this! :)
ReplyDeletethese are amazing. i wanna visit again.
ReplyDeleteomg those are great! Too bad they're not on display still. They're definately creative and amazing.
ReplyDeletehaha I didn't know Jordan Knight is gay! Really, well seems like there has to be a gay guy in every boyband LOL. 1 in 5 odds. and you told Boyzone to move up the line!? That's funny
You: "hey excuse me, can you move up the line? You're blocking everyone"
Ronan Keating: "... Do you know who I am, or who WE are?!"
You: "... No. But I do know you're blocking the line. so can you move up. geeze"
LOL i can just picture you doing that!
This must have been an amazing exhibition and many thanks for giving us this review.
ReplyDeleteIt must be so wonderful seeing fabulous shows like this and living right there, where it all happens!
I loved the Galeries Lafayette ~ could have stayed there all day, just looking and shopping and enjoying everything.
Hope your week is going well
Hugs
Carolyn
these are so weird and cool-I would love to be able to see it in person xx
ReplyDeleteThese are the most interesting works of art I've seen in a while! Like always, you take amazing pictures. Great post!
ReplyDeleteSydnie
www.takemeouttotherunway.blogspot.com
Enter my new giveaway!
wow, what an amazing display! you truly get to see such wonderful and fabulous things.
ReplyDeletexo
Oh wow! Hi honey! I've missed you and you are back with a ton of amazingness! I am so grateful you share these things with us, how crazy amazing is this exhibit of sorts! David Lynch is a genius in my book.
ReplyDeleteI love what you said about my anxiety, too. A lot of people are surprised, but then when you think about it, like you said, it makes more sense...if things like that can EVER make sense!
I hope you're having a good week my lovely!
those display's are so amazing and beautiful. Lucky you to get to see these. How I envy you!
ReplyDeletex
wow absolutely amazing, i would love to see this in person!
ReplyDeletewoman with dream and on ledge are my favorite ones, these are really so amazing... need to do some research on this artist!
Wow, interesting and unique work. They are all very abstract indeed. My fav was the 'Girl on the Ledge'.. sounds like it would have been wonderful to see in person!
ReplyDeletexo, Becs
A little bit overloved, but this work doesn't seem that bad !
ReplyDelete