The great thing about Lanvin is that you don't need to shell out a lot of money in order to appreciate Alber Elbaz's creations. Many designers will devote their energy to merely designing clothing or accessories. Alber likes taking it one step further by creating everything from miniature Lanvin dolls to the most wonderful store windows. And if you're not in Paris often enough to see what he's been up to... no worries, because taking photographs of the Parisian Lanvin windows is becoming something of a hobby of mine. If you've missed previous installations, you might also want to take a look here, here and here (for the original Lanvin boutique feature, which I will update soon).
In any case, the windows that went up in late June didn't disappoint. As usual they showcased the usual humorous whimsical drama in a Parisian chic way that is so typical of Lanvin. However this time there was an added bonus: Lanvin collaborated with artist Cyril Hatt, who has an ongoing exhibition at Galerie Bertrand Grimont and on request created some special pieces for the windows. Hatt's artworks consist of photo's he's taken of everyday objects ranging from motorcycles to shoes. The images are taken from several angles, then pieced together in a 3D collage-sculpture to recreate the object that was deconstructed to begin with. As with many artists, he focuses on consumerism and society's obsession with material goods. With his reconstructed sculptures he plays with the value of such goods - they still look very much deconstructed... something that is done on purpose. In addition, all of them are hollow - his way of saying that basically these goods are 'empty' and have no soul, despite the fact that consumers try to own the body and soul of the objects they own. His attempt to show objects like pieced together puzzles is his way of robbing people of the illusion and seduction of fashionable goods that represent a temptation. It's also his way of redefining the market value of said objects.
While I don't entirely agree with the artist's perspective (i.e. I don't believe all goods are 'hollow' as other values such as memories and history are associated with many items people own), it's always interesting to see how fashion and art can be combined.
Of course I'm pretty sure most shoppers aren't aware or don't care about what the artist is trying to say with these pieces when they're looking at the windows and the irony of the same people waltzing in the flagship and spending 3K on a dress isn't lost on me. Nevertheless, the art works are fascinating to look at and in addition to the usual everyday objects, Hatt has made the effort to recreate specific Lanvin items ranging from jackets to shoes.
Of course I'm pretty sure most shoppers aren't aware or don't care about what the artist is trying to say with these pieces when they're looking at the windows and the irony of the same people waltzing in the flagship and spending 3K on a dress isn't lost on me. Nevertheless, the art works are fascinating to look at and in addition to the usual everyday objects, Hatt has made the effort to recreate specific Lanvin items ranging from jackets to shoes.
All images below can be enlarged by clicking on them.
Lanvin Homme
Close-ups of some of the Cyril Hatt pieces (Lanvin Homme):
Lanvin Femme
Close-ups (Lanvin Femme):
For some reason Lanvin ended up changing their main window display a few weeks in, by moving the washing machine scene to the front display. No idea why, I preferred the original version. One of the side-windows now has a few new paintings though.
And before I forget... ages ago, the very fabulous Janettaylor along with the equally wonderful Style Porn and Little Miss Fhenny gave me an award I never had the chance to pass on. Thank you again for this!

I would like to hand this to the following lovely blogs:

Add & Bookmark
wow! they sure have amazing displays! great finds!
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with you when you say, "I don't believe all goods are 'hollow'..." there are pieces I have had for years that have been with me for the moments I treasure most as well as through some difficult journeys.
ReplyDeleteLux items can be quite the temptation though, and it can be sad especially in these tough economic times when one can't curb his/her desire and puts oneself into further debt.
Your blog is such a good read, and always leaves you longing and/or thinking. I truly love it!
Congratulations on your award! And thank you SO much for passing it on to me! I feel undeserving but will gladly accept :)
Though I'm not quite sure what to do next, do I pass onto 5 others as you have? Sorry, almost 3 weeks and I'm still a little clueless...
xx Ela
My dear friend!
ReplyDeleteYou know, I do love Lanvin and I do love your blog! You write the best posts and here I can find the best information about where to go and where to buy all around. I am so happy to have found you. Even more now that I am planning my first trip to Europe. Thanks to you, I am sure I gonna see the best there!
Because of all of this, I am so honored to be linked by you here. You are the best, you know?
Thanks so much, I feel so happy to have your friendship :)
A big kiss and hug for you,
from the brazilian friend,
Kira
PS - Please, correct my link here at the post, for some reason, it is wrong >>>
ReplyDelete:)))
Thanks a lot!
I just linked you back now :)
OMG! I luv these window displays, they are amazingly hypnotic, I literally can feel myself doing some of these things! Especially in Cyril Hatt's "Most of the Shoes" window, that's me! Well I wish for the moment! Thanks for another ingenious post!
ReplyDeletelove the windows
ReplyDeleteOne of my requirements for deciding on whether or not a store is fabulous from the outside has to do with their window displays - this shop has some of the best I've ever seen! :)
ReplyDeleteVery interesting! This almost seems too artistic for a "simple" shop window display. I like the idea he's trying to convey here; sometimes I think those in fashion become a little too enamored with what is essentially "nothing".
ReplyDeleteWOW!
ReplyDeleteJ'adore the windows...I want that Tee...LOL!
X♥X♥
Oh I quite like the pop art touches to these windows. I love interesting window designs and Paris always has the best.
ReplyDeleteHey darling, good morning to you!
ReplyDeleteI hope all is well in Paris! So you're back in the cité d'amour :)
Thanks for sharing so many interesting pictures of the different window displays at Lanvin - that's truly some work of art.
It must be great fun to design and to arrange all the details and differenct scenes for all different window settings.
Have a great day, honey!
Much love, hugs&kisses
Sofie
Such creative window displays.
ReplyDeleteBlogrolled you! :-)
this is a great blog. i love the photos and am a little jealous of your traveling. hihihi
ReplyDeletehave a great day
Hi! Now I can see you are in Paris, what a nice city! Love pictures of Lavin's windows. Thanks fots sharing it! Kiss
ReplyDeletecan't see the pics from here (i'm in office..) but I'd love to shop at lanvin I adore their flats!!
ReplyDeleteI realy love the decorayion of this stores... fantastic :)
ReplyDeletethe boutiques are really great.. loving the decoration.. gives me inspiration as little interior designer.. :)
ReplyDeletexx
I love these window displays i kinda always feel like they are works of art in their own right if you know what I mean, they are so interesting to look at and its like what you said they have a underlying story!
ReplyDeleteGreat post again!
Oh and big congrats on the award!
thank you for your lovely comment :)
ReplyDeleteI adore the commitment to the window dressing at Lanvin...there's nothing quite like a story to engage and mesmerise.
oh gosh, lanvin is a serious weakness for me. amazing stuff lady!
ReplyDeleteWhat fabulous window displays ~ thanks for posting!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your award, darling!
xoxox,
CC
Congatulations, darling!
ReplyDeleteThe Lanvin windows are so great!
FM~FP~AF
"While I don't entirely agree with the artist's perspective (i.e. I don't believe all goods are 'hollow' as other values such as memories and history are associated with many items people own), it's always interesting to see how fashion and art can be combined."
ReplyDeleteThe whole hybrid of fashion/art was so popular Pre-Recession. But meta-consumer art is hypocritical because you have a relationship with consumerism whether you like it or not.
And I'm sure the artist was paid a handsome fee for his anti-consumption statement windows as well ;)
Hello to the lovely one,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, congrats on yet more awards..you truely deserve them because you have one of the most amazing blog and i always enjoy reading everything you write! :)
The window display at Lanvin is really amazing! I really wish we could swap jobs for a month so that i can come and live in Paris! ;)
Hope you are having a wonderful day!
Hugs
Annaxx
I just swoon over Lanvin! I wish I had the budget to buy up so many of their pieces, but unfortunately, it's just not happening :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the third window...and well, all of them really. I really appreciate all the hard work that goes into making such stunning displays!
I'm loving your blog - congrats on your award, you definitely deserve it!
Oh darling thank you for sharing these LANVIN window display images my sweetie. I am always intrigued by the power window displays and visual merchandising has in raising sale numbers.
ReplyDeleteLANVIN does that whimsical humorous French style so impeccable well!
Kisses
x
Marian
thanks so much for your comment, really enjoying yours, definitely need to add you to my reading list! would you be interested in exchanging links?
ReplyDeleteWow fabulous, thank you so so much for posting this!
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me of Claes Oldenburg's store. He made objects out of papier mache and sold them for a couple of cents each- also commenting on commodity. It's strange to see an artist do the same thing for an actual store. Thanks so much for documenting the windows in photos! And your perspective on what you see is always so interesting. I'm sure you are right that most people just breeze past the windows without much thought.
ReplyDeletewindow displays! When I lived in the city I used to love to just walk by "the big windows" and gawk. Now I have the mall:)
ReplyDeleteL*A*N*V*I*N ... I LOOOOVE that store!
ReplyDeleteThey have always so many fascinating shopping windows!
Sooo... I love to see all your photos!
You always care so much about how to describe everything!!!!!
Good night to you!
Bonne nuit !
Dormez bien ;)
Martina
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFirstly, thank you so much for the award! I haven't been posting lately though which is disheartening for me, my only excuse is that real life has stopped my internet life! For some reason when your new post pops up I have to actually fluff my cushions and get some serious comfort in order to read it properly. Maybe it enhance my absorption of the info?!
ReplyDeleteBrilliant pictures, my favourite being the washing machine actually. I found the model pulling her garment out of the wash just endearing for some reason. Maybe as we all have to do our washing whether it be a pair of socks or a designer dress!
Lauren xxx
ohmyFUCKING GOD!!! this is so cool that i can hardly stand it!!! i thought saks in stooooopid beverly hills had fab displays, but these are iNCREDIBLE!!! i am so glad you posted this. you always manage to show me the cool stuff i am missing out on.
ReplyDeletethat's it. next year i am going to europe OR BUST!! :)
hi is jana speaking!! great post!
ReplyDeletei love lanvin t-shirt ,they are great!! absolutlly wonderfulls!
xx
jana
http://laventanadejanaglamurama.blogspot.com/
lovely post :)
ReplyDeletei've added you hun x
Lanvin...swooon!!!!!! One of my all time favorites!
ReplyDeleteI am in London ALL THE TIME! We definitely have to meet up!!!
Ohhhh and congrats on your award! :)
ReplyDeleteWish I could see those works of art in person -- such interesting textures. And they make gorgeous window displays.
ReplyDeleteBTW, updated my blogroll and added you to it :)
these are great- i really like the 'thought bubbles' in that one. wish there had been more of those incorporated
ReplyDeleteworld coolest display or WHAT?? love em! and yes, blue is def hard to pull off, i cant rock the blue much myself!
ReplyDelete