I was going to blog yesterday and share yet another wonderful Spanish (or French... haven't decided) store with everyone, but I got distracted by one of the biggest shopping events in France: the first day of summer sales. So instead, I have decided to share this sometimes crazy, mostly surprisingly civilized experience with you. You can consider this a virtual sales shopping experience through my eyes, complete with a bizarre anecdote towards the end. I will even show you the stuff I bought... kind of.
In any case, pre-sales have been going on for a while in Paris now, but it's the official sales that deliver the true bargains. Mainly because a lot of the big designers (Balenciaga, Lanvin etc.) won't mark down anything until the first sale date. And others will only pull out all the goods from stock once the real thing is underway. Because I never buy designer full-price, (unless I know it will never ever go on sale) but unfortunately also have shoe and clothing sizes that sell out immediately, I wanted to get there early. It was also pretty convenient I didn't have to work yesterday. The greater part of the retail world opened it's doors at 8AM. I thought 8AM was pushing it, so instead I chose to go at... 8:20AM.
First stop: Department Stores
I started out at Printemps (Haussmann), which is also the first place I visited during the winter sales. I don't really enjoy department stores (artificial light, enclosed space...), but when it comes to sales, they somehow manage to pull out stuff that's sold out elsewhere (the same goes for Galeries Lafayette, but I prefer Printemp's layout). I would also recommend Le Bon Marche, though it's a little further away from the main shopping area.
Where are the people? Alexander McQueen (above) and Balenciaga (below).
Bi-annual sales in bigger cities tend to be crazy. In Harvey Nichols (London), I witnessed a lot of shoving, pushing, screaming and when the doors opened early in the morning, women were actually sprinting towards certain sections of the store. Printemps? Not really. The women's RTW clothing section was scarily empty. Except for one silly person I'll get to later...
I finally found out where the masses had gathered... in the shoe section of course! This gave me a chance to take some pics of people spending too much money. The logo brands were doing very well with long lines in front of Chanel, Dior and Gucci. The below pictures were taken at 8:45 AM.
I wonder what they're waiting for...
But no one cared about Prada, YSL, Sergio Rossi or Giuseppe Zanotti. Some of these areas were so empty, I actually tried on shoes because I felt sorry for the bored staff. Yes, I'm nice that way.
Second Stop: One Flagship, Two Boutiques
I was so intrigued by the queues in front of the various Chanel sections within the department stores, I was curious to see how busy the main flagship on rue Cambon was. It was busy, but no queues. And way more shoes. It's 10 mins away... why don't people come here instead?
I also ended up visiting two multi-brand boutiques. The first, Maria Luisa stocks everything from Margiela to Manolos (one of the few places in Paris that sells the brand). I then took a bit of a detour to Ave. Montaigne to visit Montaigne Market (stocks Balmain, Alaia and Ann Demeulemeester). Both were shockingly empty.
Maria Lusia (left) and Montaigne Market (right). Both very empty.
By the time I hit the main high-end shopping area near rue Royale, the streets were full of people. It was around 10AM by then. Almost every single person was carrying shopping bags - most of them by luxury designers. I had already purchased Lanvin shoes in Printemps (50% off), but I love the way the boutique displays the shoes during the sale season. The ballerina flats were only marked down 30%. Pretty weak... especially considering Lanvin did a full 50% discount half a year ago.
Givenchy: Does no one love you... except me?
On the street
In a sad attempt to show you some pseudo-streetstyle images and to make myself feel better about spending money, I started taking pictures of people with shopping bags. They were everywhere. France isn't officially in a recession, which would explain why even children are hauling TODS bags around...
The guy in the picture above (right) was excitedly telling his female friends that he had purchased some shirts, a wallet and a belt from Lanvin, YSL and Prada. He couldn't have been older than 20. The girl toting the Balmain shopping bag a few pictures up was around 18. And while I was trying to get a pic, two girls approached me, wanting to know where the Balenciaga flagship was (they were both around 18 as well). Don't know about you, but when I was that age, it was all about vintage and H&M. I'm intrigued...
I was a little surprised by the amount of people carrying Hermès bags, considering they don't have regular sales (they have bi-annual private sales). But I'm guessing the purchases might have been of the classic will-never-go-on-sale kind.
The crazy shopper
I'm just going to briefly mention one person who towards the beginning of my shopping spree proved that people do go psycho during sale season. During my first stop in Printemps (McQueen section) I was happily browsing and checking a price of a scarf, which was in my hand when I suddenly felt a tug... and nothing. A woman, who I will refer to as crazy shopper (CW), sporting a baggy t-shirt, jeans and a sun visor had actually pulled this item right out of my hand, merrily proclaiming to have seen it first. Her left arm was loaded with at least 5 other scarves and many more items. I started arguing but she looked at me like she didn't understand English (to be fair, she didn't speak it very well). I couldn't be bothered, especially as I had no interest in the product and didn't want to waste my own shopping time so I continued.
Two minutes later, I suddenly feel a tug at my own scarf. CW is standing next to me asking "are you going to get that scarf? I think I also saw it first". I tried explaining to her, that this was actually my own (McQueen) scarf from FW07. Her hands were still on it. I was getting slightly irritated (to put it mildly). When she realized there was no security or price tag, she finally got it, laughed, slapped me on the shoulder like we were BFF's and took off towards the Cavalli section. Wow, I wonder if she was on something. Actually I think she might have been an eBay seller. I was tempted to tell her that all the stuff in her arms was actually from FW09 and not on sale, but I guess she'll realize sooner or later...
CW ended up causing more havoc in other areas of the store, when she made an alarm go off twice after yanking various Balenciaga bags off shelves. Security ended up secretly following her around the store after that.
Have you ever experienced nutcases while shopping? I've been to sample sales, and whatnot, but I rarely encounter individuals who actually take stuff you're holding or trying on. It's like something out of a chick-lit movie. I realize there's something about a 50% off sign that triggers irrational behavior and a rapid decline in a person's IQ level, but some people need to get a grip.
Anyhow, for the sake of my credit card, I decided to end my spree after the above mentioned flagships. I might check out more stores next week, but there's nothing else I had my eye on. For now, I'm happy with these:

Add & Bookmark
Hi Honey,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post and Oh I often am envious of these crazy shoppers, I realise that this isn't the most important one and I save. I'll select the marketplace of the Ebay. I'm waiting, i'm waiting and I wait a fave model. Haha!
XoXo
So I'm not too shocked that France has more of a reserved air about sales, it seems the UK is getting worse. Selfridges and as you mentioned Harvey Nichols is like some sort or mental asylum. I think people feel they can suddenly afford that designer item now it's on sale. Really even with discount sI find it too expensive!
ReplyDeleteI'm 20 and don't buy Chanel, only See by Chloe or lesser designer names. I love my high end high street to be honest! (All Saints mainly!)
The shops did look scary empty though!
Lauren x
This is one of the BEST POSTS!!!
ReplyDeleteCan you imagine I´m right on the way to Paris (over the weekend)? Already excited to look what they have in their "soldes". So it was such a pleasure for me to read all your experiences!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR BALENCIAGA, LANVIN & GIVENCHY PURCHASES!!!!
Happy "soldes" day!!!!
Beautiful Blessings to you...
Martina
Such a great post! THANKS A LOT!!!
ReplyDeleteI've also made a bit of sales yesterday and though I live in province, I succeeded to get stuff I wanted!
What about those beautiful shopping bags? What did you get? I'm PARTICULARLY interested in Balenciaga ;)
GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3<3<3
ReplyDeleteand great purchases!
xxx
Oh, and speaking about very young people buying really expensive things, I also noticed a lot of them around! The money of the parents, I guess!
ReplyDeleteBut actually when we go to expensive restaurants with hubby we are always the youngest! Sometimes it's annoying...
PS: Do you think Bal leather jacket may go on Sale next winter as well? I doubt, as I've been eyeing it for like a year and NEVER saw it on sale! :(
820am?! i can imagine myself waking up at 7am to be there at 8am. cause i'm amazingly picky and indecisive so i'll be needing a looooot of time to shop around. lol!
ReplyDeleteoh! and i have to tell you this, i saw a pair of boots that i really love in your balenciaga photo! and i can't believe how many people have gathered at 845am, so early. i quite love prada's designs, i wonder why they were deserted? ugh~ why am i stuck here, i'd buy the ysl cage boots! okay, that's it. i'll come clean. i'm jealous. lol! glad you had fun shopping! :)
Such a great post, really interesting .x.
ReplyDeleteOMG! that's hilarious! reminds me of what I go through at the Barney's warehouse sale here! lool. Omg, so its common to carry a Birkin? unbelieveable.. and people toting around Balmain and Chanel bags like nothing..how wonderful! Love your anecdotes, super entertaining!
ReplyDeletexoxo!
-Gisela
www.heightsoffashion.typepad.com
Such a great post!
ReplyDeleteI'm super jealous of all the sales though, Your bags with the purchases in them look very pretty, haha!
Thank you so much! That makes me so incredibly happy!
ReplyDeleteI would love to go shopping in Paris! I would just wish I had the money when I went there last summer.
Great blog^^
OMY DESIGNER HEAVEN! sooo jealous!
ReplyDeleteBEST POST!
thanks for visiting! :)
iyam
www.styleandbeyond.blogspot.com
Unfortutanely my budget pretty much confines me to high street sales and second hand, so major labels are the chance to window shop and try on amazing pieces every so often. I am slightly taken aback by how young some of the customers seem to have been! But I suppose sale season makes everything a tad more affordable.
ReplyDeleteSome of stores seem to have been completely empty! Haha, I am used to being swamped and pretty much rugby tackled every so often during the sales on Oxford/Regent street. Plus it seems all the XS tops and 28/34 or 30/34 trousers are the first to go!!
Haha the strip lighting and lack of windows is not allowing me to appreciate the goods in those photographs for some reason. I suppose department stores pretty much have to be clinical and clean in order to accomodate pretty much any designer/product.
Oh my, does that small Lanvin box happen to contain shooooes?? Haha, and you don't have to give your name at all, the only person to know will be the person before you on the list in order to post the journal to you. You are officially on the list :)
Loved this post!
ReplyDeleteThe French are so conservative with their soldes, not like the UK at all! I think thats a good thing.
You made me really miss being in Paris, le Printemps and Le Bon Marche are my favourite department stores (followed only by Liberty in London).
Enjoy your purchases!
xx
Okay, this was the best post I've read all day. Your retelling of your shopping experiences, and your encounters with crazy shoppers was so hilarious. As much as I love sales; I certainly do not love long lines or fighting with people over the last perfect handbag! :)
ReplyDeletei felt like i was there with you....and if i was i would have beat that woman's ass...tugging on your scarf. like BEAT DOWN. OMG.
ReplyDeletemaybe there were more people with Hermes because the staff is so much nicer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!arggh not like here in the states! hahah (sorry everyone you just have to read my post to get it)
so im going to several destinations but all in Asia for work. going alone...oh well. =( Hubs has too much going on here so he cant go.
thank you so much for your kind words..i truly appreciate it! and i agree there are too many back stabbers in this world.
One day hubs and i will venture to Paris - Fall 2010 Capsule most likely! yaya
Your post has really made my day!
ReplyDeleteI have experienced this type of a crazy shopper in Selfridges so i learnt never to go there when they have sales! In fact, i try to do all my sale shopping online from Net a Porter and Browns.
Enjoy you new purchases and have a great evening!
Hugs
Annaxx
I extremely enjoyed your post! My heart was pounding so fast when I saw all the photos you posted.. my my my all those great sales..wow!you're so lucky you're in Paris!
ReplyDeleteand your anecdotes are hilarious! thanks for sharing.
G.
http://styleandbeyond.blogspot.com/
I loved the soldes in Paris, and I was always amazed at how crazy it...well, wasn't! Still was always to expensive for me on my backpackers budget...still is, sadly.
ReplyDeleteWow! Talk about a SALE, I would luv to be in Paris right now - LUCKY YOU !!!
ReplyDeletep.s. That's sooo funny about CW, I say you handled her very well - and your purchases are solely to be envied! Thank you for sharing this fashionably fab post!!!
i love the pics with diff people hold diff brands paper bags! haha im saving up for huge shopping spree... on a huge sale!
ReplyDeleteyour pictures always remind of being a kid in a candy store...so much candy...so little time :-) that last picture with the 'damage' is the perfect ending!!!
ReplyDeleteamazing!! wish i'm going on a massive shopping spree right now :)
ReplyDeleteAhh let's see those goodies (;
ReplyDeleteUgh. If only I lived in France for that wonderful sale. And if only I could afford those! (:
bisous,
La C.
"I actually tried on shoes because I felt sorry for the bored staff. Yes, I'm nice that way." LOL!
ReplyDeleteLove the scarf anecdote! Two girls shopping once did that to my purse...with all my belongings in it. If I wasn't at a store, I would've thought I was being mugged.
Do show us what you snagged!
http://extradots.blogspot.com
i enjoyed this entry vm! what's in that bal shopping bag?! please reveal! please! please? :P
ReplyDeleteMAN I wish I had been there for the sales! I've lucked out in my trips to Paris-- I've always managed to catch it during sale season. I loved all your shots of the shopping bag toters. And loved your bag shots of your own sale finds. Can you do the big reveal? I'd love to see what's inside!!! Also: Maria Luisa is surprisingly tiny, given its HUGE reputation.
ReplyDeleteWait, so what's in your bags?
ReplyDeletePersonally I don't like 'public' shopping anymore, I like more of 'cameral' experience ;D
*Please follow my fashion blog
ReplyDeleteHere's the link:
http://rhapsodyinheels.blogspot.com/
oh jealous. i had so much fun in paris shopping too and it was during sale; almost went completely nuts.
ReplyDeleteOhhh how exciting! I would love to know what you got!
ReplyDeleteAnd and CW sounds horrifying! Especially tugging at the scarf that you were wearing!
It surprises me that such young kids can afford designer (even half off). I'm still shopping at H&M- haha!
Thanks for the overview... I always remember Julie Delpy's character talking about sales week in "Before Sunset" and wondered what the details were ;)
Simply amazing! Please share your purchases =)
ReplyDeleteI was actually flipping through some old WWDs and saw that Nina Ricci is having their sample sale and that things were going to be sold for 55 Euros or something crazy like that. Will you be in Paris for that? I'd be interested in seeing the crowd at that, particularly because Olivier Theyskens is no longer with them.
greatly detailed posts, congrats on the new additions! my my i do want to go to paris now, maybe just to drool over the YSl booties, though;)
ReplyDeletexx raez
wowzers! You have some energy and patience! You should take me shopping sometime! ;)
ReplyDeleteso amazing. wish we had that here! please show us your new goodies!
ReplyDeletedid you happen to take a picture of the crazy shopper? haha.. i'm just curious.. makes me want to draw a "WANTED - Lunatic Shopper" add.. just for fun
ReplyDeleteOkay, I'm officially SO JEALOUS that they don't have amazing sales like that in Canada.
ReplyDeleteWOW... I envy you!
wow what an amazing sale! You would never see anything like that in Canada!
ReplyDeleteand hahaha you tried on some shoes cuz the staff looks boring... hey its the recession, everyone gotta look busy or else they might get laid off right ;)
Sounds so fun and successful and nutty, it almost makes me wish I went to Paris instead of Turkey.
ReplyDeleteAlmost.
I never ever shop at sales - they give me panic attacks ;)
ReplyDeleteand I remember when I used to work at Gucci's flagship store in London, on Old Bond Street -it was last year and everyone talked about recession, it was all doom and gloom in the news, but people shopped like crazy.
even now my friends tell me that sales are through the roof, they beat the target for the whole month in less than a week
what recession? ;)
Wow that was so fun! Thank! Let's exchange links, I don't want to forget to come back here often! :) I'll add you now!
ReplyDeleteWow I can't wait until I have the money to shop designers like that. As for the crazy shopper, I can't say I've ever had anyone try to pull the clothes off my back. But as the story goes although it must have been frustrating it's also hilarious. I can't imagine that woman not being on drugs.
ReplyDeleteI love that you tried on shoes because of the bored salespeople! And omg, I've never experienced a crazy shopper like that!!
ReplyDeleteAnd *sigh* Tod's. I'm still lusting over a Tod's softy messenger bag. Ha, STILL!
Its basically SALES seasons everywhere (even the online stores)!! I was amazed by the 50% Balmain sales banner, sound so tempting. Looks like u have enjoy ur purchase! Wish i was there too!
ReplyDeletedude! total shopping FRENZY!!! i guess there is still a LOT of money out there for spending on fab designer items! i wish i could have gotten in on the steals/deals! i wish!!!!
ReplyDeleteoh oh oh!!!
ReplyDeleteThis is heaven!
I love sales! I am taking my notes here :)
Thanks a lot for the post!
just a question:
ReplyDeleteThe best place to buy Louboutins in Paris is his own store?
Are there any other options?
Thanks so much in advance ;)
First off, thank you so much for this post. It made me totally laugh and put a smile on my face. Love hearing crazy shopping stories and yours was no exception. I cannot believe the nerve that lady had to grab your own freakin scarf!! Too funny. And thanks for sharing all the pics during your insane day. I feel like I'm right there with you when I read about your experiences because you're so descriptive. Love it! Oh, and congrats on your amazing purchases!!
ReplyDeletexo, Becs
LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteJust found it and going to start following you 2!!
LOL, I totally laughed out loud reading your amazingly written post! I LOVE IT! And I feel so sick at myself for visiting your blog for the first time... yeaaaa I know, I can be quite slow at exploration of blogs lol. Anyhoo, you'll be on my list to visit frequently now! I am in love with your purchases!! Are you gonna model them for us, pretty please? I wish I was in Paris! I would totally snap up everything from Chanel, YSL, Givenchy, Lanvin and BALMAIN! AHHHHHHH
ReplyDeleteLove, Adeliet
Hi, I'm currently in Paris right now. Can someone please tell me where I can get great bargains in Paris and Italy. Actually anywhere in Europe in fact. And when exactly and which store has the best sales? Thanks.
ReplyDelete