
With the rising popularity of everything that is vintage, I've seen a fair share of second-hand stores that tried to profit from this craze resulting in overpricing and an overall decline in the quality of merchandise. Then there are shops that seemingly try too hard to be cool or hip and end up no longer being true to the original concept. I'm happy to report that Starry Starry Night is vintage at its finest. In fact, this is exactly how a retro store should be like - if I ever opened one, I would probably try to replicate it (and fail miserably).

A mere 5 seconds away from the CdG Guerilla Store, the shop's bright green entrance is hard to miss. And the interior is just as fun as the quirky facade suggests, so you might want to free your whole afternoon to rummage through the treasures. The type of clothing and accessories you'll find here won't be designer, but is likely to be even more unique, good quality and quite reasonably priced. While most places will be able to sell you military style jackets and coats, the outerwear you can find here is actual military clothing ranging from an Irish Guard jacket to a Victorian Lord Lieutenant's uniform proudly on display. There was even a hat with Russian wording that implied it came from the Soviet Army. I must say this is way cooler than getting an inspired-by look.

If you want something more Scottish - feast your eyes on an entire rack lined with tartan kilts. My dear Significant Other (who by the way seemed to have almost more fun browsing than yours truly) asked me to guess the age of one particular kilt. I said 2006 - it dated back to 1960 but looked brand new and was made from the finest quality wool. And it only cost 90 GBP - on average a brand new kilt will set you back around 500 GBP!

Other notable finds included a good selection of leather jackets, wool coats and even more military outfits. This was all mainly menswear though, so I headed towards the back, where I found a nice assortment of (mostly fake) fur jackets and stoles, as well as a good range of women's leather jackets from the 70's. The adjoining space was dedicated almost entirely to dresses. Anyone in need of a cocktail dress should come here first. I sighted some amazing Victorian gowns as well as 20's style flapper dresses and some bohemian frocks from the 60's. I've been told that theatrical companies like to shop here and I can understand why.

If you're a jewelry fan, don't leave without taking a look at the glass counter in the center. Featuring antique brooches, chokers and bracelets to name a few, you're sure to find that special something you've been looking for. Bag lovers should check out the purses displayed nearby - you're bound to find the perfect accessory to one of the vintage outfits.

And if you need more accessories, an entire wall of shelves is filled with scarves, feather boas, funky ties, gloves and anything else you could possibly desire. The far end of the shop also houses Bethsy Gray's fine handcrafted silver jewelry which is made in the store's adjoining workshop , so definitely pay this area a visit as well. There are a few items that are too precious to be on sale but can be loaned to you for a good price, so don't hesitate to ask the shop keepers if you do see something that looks too valuable to wear. There's also a story behind almost every product in the store, so if you're curious someone in the boutique is bound to tell you more.

Safe to say that this is one of my favorite vintage haunts and I'll be sure to come back the next time I'm in town!
Address: 19 Dowanside Lane, Glasgow G12 9BZ
Opening Hrs: Mon-Sat: 10:00-17:30

Add & Bookmark
"I die. Bananas." See, this is why I like shopping vintage when I travel. Because hipsters in large cities like New York pounce on that stuff and all that's sadly left when you visit are shallow bins. Where to next??
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by Hong Kong Fashion Geek! Love your blog. Want to do a link swap? Will definitely keep coming to your site although I haven't been to the UK in ages!
ReplyDeletethis is really a tresure shop, I'd love to shop there, I'm obsessed with vintage finds..and the bright green paint makes me happy just to watch it;-)
ReplyDeleteDream Sequins - I know what you mean. The last vintage place I went to in Paris was frequented by rockstars and models. Which attracted the hipsters, then the tourists. Basically it now resembles an Urban Outfitters and I've never found anything worth buying there.
ReplyDeleteHKFG - Thanks for visiting! I'll definitely put your link up. Don't actually live in the UK, I'm just visiting :)
Carlotta - This is actually a very happy place :) It's so much fun to hunt for things in places like this, like going through someone's very big closet!
Thanks for visiting my blog,I'm glad that you travel alot too. My first time visit your blog, and like it alot. I will put yours on my blog list.
ReplyDeleteAbout your last post, when I saw CdG store, I like WoW...love it.
Hanh - thanks for visiting my blog as well. I'll definitely add yours to my blog list too :)
ReplyDeletethis shop looks so cool !
ReplyDeleteOh, I loved Glasgow too, the arty spirit... I've never been to this shop though, great discovery!
ReplyDeleteOh and thanks for the comment, the new Lanvin shop is indeed gorgeous! :)
Nice blog, I'll link you up straight away!
Bisous! x
Slanelle - thanks for dropping by! :)
ReplyDeletealizemorand - I've linked you back, thanks for visiting my blog. I will definitely go to Lanvin when I'm in London. Mount St. is a dangerous place - it was bad enough when it was just Balenciaga, Louboutin and MJ... ;-)
Everywhere I travel, expectations to the local vintage and retro shops are researched and planned. I've been to most vintage stores in the UK, Europe and many in North America and Asia.
ReplyDeleteI could not recommend Starry Starry Night at all.
The old dear who owns it, is outright rude and condensing when talking to customers. Even her own staff seemed ashamed of they way she was speaking to people.
Perhaps it's because I caught her out on the claimed age of a coat. It's quite a push to claim a coat as "certainly before 1920", when the stitching and lingin are clearly 1960/70s . But I did question the age in a very unknowing way.
Everything is over priced - higher than trendy East London boutiques. Quality of the items is poor and smell of moth balls and damp.