All Dolled Up: Frimousses de Créateurs 2010 (Paris, France)


Below: Overview of the exhibition space.

Unless you've been living under a rock, you might have noticed that designer collaborations are everywhere these days. After having just witnessed the latest H&M/Lanvin one, I had a first real-life (puzzled) look at the Valentino for GAP selection last week - and while ruffled khaki cargo pants really aren't my thing and never will be, who can blame yet another designer and high street retailer for joining forces? After all, they're just companies... and companies need to make money. Most of my friends refuse to buy into this whole marketing scheme, claiming it's a waste of money, yet others will happily unload a lot of hard-earned cash for such 'designer' gear. I still have mixed feelings about some of these collaborations, but one of the current joint-ventures does make perfect sense to me - and deserves to have a lot of money thrown at it...

'Frimousses de Créateurs' is a collaboration I already posted about last year. In an annual event and exhibition which began in 2003, big names in fashion, art and design (to name a few) each create a unique doll in partnership with UNICEF, which then gets auctioned off. All monies collected go towards financing vaccinations to aid children in Darfur. Donations in the past have allowed over 260,000 children in Africa to be vaccinated (annually) with last year's donations reaching a total of 285,300 EUR. Of course depending on which doll you want, you might not just need a big heart but an even bigger wallet. But even then, I'm sure those who have spent a bit of money on this, value the fact they've not only purchased a unique designer item (which is actually handmade), but also saved children's lives. This year's collaboration was dedicated to the world of cinema and included not only designers' interpretations of the silver screen, but also had a few stars themselves take a shot at creating a doll.

Marion Cotillard designed herself as a doll, while her partner, actor & director Guillaime Canet, was designed by Dior Homme (center). Other dolls pictured include legendary vintage expert Didier Ludot (left) and 'Baby Gaga' by Tilmann Grawe, the man responsible for many of Lady Gaga's stage outfits.

All dolls went on display last week at the Petit Palais and will be auctioned off tomorrow (Dec 7). A few select dolls can even be purchased online here. While dolls in general sometimes still creep me out, I did love looking at these little creations and wish I could take more than one home. This year, my favorites were Chanel's 'La Petite Coco' and Giorgio Armani's 'Marlène Dietrich'. Which one would you bid on, if you had the funds?

Big-name luxury and contemporary designers

'Tulip' by Dior (left). Louis Vuitton's doll (right) looks like a mini Christy Turlington.

'Sixtine' by Lanvin (left). 'La Petite Coco' by Chanel (right).

'Marlène Dietrich' by Giorgio Armani (left). 'Monica' by Dolce & Gabbana.

Stefano Pilati for Yves Saint Laurent (left). 'Skye' by Chloé (right).

'Elvia' by Gucci (left). Missoni (right).

'Sophie' by Prada (left). 'Barbara' by Miu Miu (right).

Double-sided doll 'Pralin et Praline' by Sonia Rykiel (left). 'Gilda' by Paule Ka (right).

Oscar de la Renta (left). 'Grace' by Elie Saab (right).

'Puccinella' by Pucci (left). 'Ava' by Loewe (right).

Carolina Herrera (left). 'Divina' by Narciso Rodriguez (right).

'Clara' by Emmanuel Ungaro (left). 'Daisy' by BCBG MAXAZRIA.

French Couture and Local Designers

Top row: 'Natsué' by Leonard, 'Yamima Benguigui' by Georges Chakra, Eliza Doolittle by Maison Lesage, 'Rebecca Dark' by Jerome L'Huillier.
Bottom row: 'Mono' by Torrente, 'Sarah' by Jean-Claude Jitrois, 'Clémentine' by Max Chaoul.

French contemporary designers and premium high street

Top row: 'Dolores' by Lolita Lempicka, Les Petites, Comptoir des Cotonniers, 'Liza' by Anne Fontaine.
Bottom row: Antik Batik,' Charlotte l'effrontée' by Petit Bateau, 'Forever Godard' by Agnes B.

Lingerie & Jewelry designers

Top row: 'Ella' by Princesse Tam Tam, 'Susan' by Fifi Chachnil, 'Vénus' by Vanina Vesperini.
Bottom row: 'Mademoiselle Poiray' by Poiray, 'Shirley' by Chantal Thomass, 'Super Ame' by Lorenz Baumer, 'C'est Toi La Star' by Mauboussin.

And the slightly wackier dolls...

Left: 'Popée' by Moritz Rogogsky, 'Mlle Blanche' by Moulin Rouge. Center: Skeleton made out of several dolls - Jean-Charles de Castelbajac, 'Tamara' by Petrossian. Right: 'Carrément chocolat' by macaron master Pierre Herme, Jay Ahr.

More of the over 80 dolls can also be viewed at the official Frimousses de Créateurs homepage.

51 comments:

  1. These are magnificent!! Quirky and fun! And the fact that they also go towards a great cause is just a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, designer collaborations are everywhere these days. The dolls are really cute :)





    -The Trendy Fashionista
    http://thetrendyfashionista.blogspot.com


    Do you want an early Christmas present? Join my *GIVEAWAY* and win an UPLA bag! http://thetrendyfashionista.blogspot.com/2010/12/la-besace-du-pecheur-upla-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh,my Godness...HOW marvelous,HOW beautiful they are!!!

    All windows looks as a Fairytale story:-)))*

    Just breathtaking nice post!!!
    Thank you SO very much for share,my dear friend!

    Hugs and much Love,
    ***Violetta***

    ReplyDelete
  4. is it greedy to say that i want all or none of the dolls? yes, it is greedy to say that! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. C'est adorable! I collect les poupees and adore la mode ... quelle combi parfait!
    (I love this post so much, I have posted a link to it on my author-fan page at FB : www.historysquirrel.com. I just know it shall be quite the attraction for my readers!)

    CiaoCiao :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable and so creative. You're right, the Louis Vuitton doll is a dead ringer for Christy Turlington.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - very cool! And I'm with ya on the Valentino/Gap mix! ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. These little figures are very witty! They have cool clothes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would make me quite happy to bring home the Louis Vuitton doll, and some others too! It would be the perfect addition to my future office where I will be working on designs and our creations. Just the right kind of ambience! (although you are right, sometimes dolls can be a bit creepy but many of these are just fantastic:)

    Hope you are having a great week!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun collection!
    Especially loving the Miu Miu doll!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY! Those are brilliant! My fave is Chanel, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are fun! did you take the photos and catalogue them here? that must have taken quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree, the high-low clothing collabos are to me more hype than substance! I like the concept though applied to these unique doll creations. Many are very creepy looking, but some are still quite cute like the Lanvin one which reminds me of the window coverage you've featured previously!

    Stressed from the holidays? Give a present to yourself by entering Part 2 of my Holiday Giveaway Bonanza for a chance to win one of 2 sweet prizes!
    http://highmaintenancewoman.blogspot.com/2010/12/holiday-giveaway-bonanza-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. amazing! chanel and miu miu are my fav.

    btw check out my blog and holiday giveaway http://www.fruitylashes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOAH! These dolls are spectacular. I wish I had but one of these awesome frocks that these dolls get to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are all adorable! And I have to agree with you that I thought Valentino for Gap was a bit puzzling :)

    Hope you're having a great week, sweetie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are so whimsical and so adorable to look at! What a genius idea for a great cause! I love the Armani and Dolce and Gabbana!! xoxoxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  18. la petite coco and one from jerome l'huillier. some of them are really creepy, especially Monica from D&G haha.. she scares me :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I MUST show this post to my mum.. she loves dolls..
    LOx

    ReplyDelete
  20. did you get any of the lanvin/h&m things? they're still expensive to me and i read that the quality is something else. yea, i thought the valentino for gap range a little *huh?*

    ReplyDelete
  21. some of those dolls are freaky but they are all very cool. I do love all the dresses designs on them

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohmigosh this is truly the cutest exhibit EVER! I love love the mini Christy Turlington; and the 'La Petite Coco' by Chanel is adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. it must have been so much fun to see it close...I am always passionate about dolls since I was a girl!

    all my love for you HW!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love these dolls. What a great idea to come up with them!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I honestly don't want any of the dolls but sincerely wish I had a friend who collected all of them so I could buy one ... they're so good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A heart-warming cause & not a better way to spend your hard earned money. I fancy 'Sixtine' by Lanvin. It was the leopard that I couldn't resist. A magnificent post HW as always.

    Sending you lots of holiday cheer ~ Deb

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the doll with the leopard coat too glam!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. You allow us to see the coolest things! Love the Oscar DLR!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These dolls are so beautiful and adorable...I especially heart the Lanvin and Christy Turlington doll...Fantastic post, thanks for sharing!

    Happy December, cheers: Evi

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this initiative! I think this kind of partnerships are great and even more if they help the most needed children. Love the little dolls.

    xoxo
    B* a la Moda

    ReplyDelete
  31. Now THAT'S a wonderful collaboration AND for a good cause. Gotta say I love them all, especially the 'Baby Gaga' and Lanvins. The JC Castelbajac is a real piece of art - in fact all the whacky ones are. Ahh, they are all lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi there-what a fantastic post, all the dolls are just so unique and stunning and a fabulous review with lovely pictures too my dear!! x

    ReplyDelete
  33. hello! thanks for stopping by. glad you liked karla.. i do too ;)
    nice post here, i really like designer collaborations.. i just hope wang is the next guest designer for H&m. who are you hoping for?

    take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  34. How cute (and fun) is this!?! I think Puccinella is my fav, lol!

    Hope you are having a wonderful holiday season, so sorry I have been in and out of the blog world lately. I promise to catch up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. These dolls are all wonderful, and I love your post. Thank you for showing us.

    Have a lovely weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  36. Some of them are really cute - my favourite is the 'Sixtine' by Lanvin. Chanel's doll is nice as well.

    Some of them look like Bratz dolls, don't you think?!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love Lanvin and Loewe dolls!!xx

    www.zscloset.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. These are wonderful! I'm particularly crushing on the Armani x Marlene Dietrich doll

    x

    ReplyDelete
  39. naw, cute post!!!
    xx

    johanna, sweden
    ART

    ReplyDelete
  40. hahaha you're soo funny YES Angelina Jolie is a devil worshipper and she wears out hot men! like Brad Pitt and now Johnny Depp. I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love dolls! May I,please, take all of them home with me for Christmas? :-))) Such a fantastic post! I have terribly difficult time deciding which one is my favorite! I would have to say Dior! but please, keep in mind that this might not be final decision: I will, most certainly change my mind in another minute or so! Thank you so much for this beautiful post! Put a smile on my face. :-))))

    ReplyDelete
  42. cute dolls! and yes, i loved gwen's hair back then too!

    www.benchesandchandeliers.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I can't believe I haven't heard of the GAP/Valentino collaboration until now! Where have I been?

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh my gosh!! I LOVE that Louis Vuitton doll! A great dress, a great model, a great label, a great designer! It was my fav fall 2010 show...oh what I'd do to get that doll!

    http://red-soledfashionista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  45. It is so lovely that you gal go out there and see and do... Paris is the place for that!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Really really creepy but quite fun, thanks for the recap!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate every comment, unless it's spam (which will be deleted) and hope you'll visit again soon.

You can now also follow Haute World on Twitter @haute_world!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.