The World of Manolo @ Liberty (London, UK)


manolo blahnik liberty london
Leave it to Liberty, my favorite London department store, to come up with something special for last week's Fashion's Night Out. Last year they gave us the wonderful Hermès collaboration and this time around, the same space (located where the scarf room is usually housed), was transformed into a Manolo Blahnik pop-up store... though the man himself dislikes that term. The joint venture included Blahnik's own Liberty print designs, which adorned a few limited edition stilettos and a pair of flats. In addition, Liberty created a few more prints based on Blahnik's illustrations - all of which could be found on various other items including notebooks, ties, scarves, totes and even cushions.

manolo blahnik liberty londonSome of the exclusive Manolo Blahnik shoes featuring Liberty prints (images: Liberty).

manolo blahnik liberty londonThree of the new Liberty prints based on Blahnik's illustrations. The actual fabric is for sale as well (images: Liberty).

Though I'm generally not what one would call a Manolo aficionado - many of his shoes are a tad too dainty for my liking - I've always been quite fond of his sketches. And since I rarely need an excuse to visit Liberty, I took the opportunity the check out 'The World of Manolo' in the process. According to the designer, who currently resides in the UK “it’s the first time I’ve done anything like it and I’m a bit terrified, but I’m doing it because I love this building and I’ve been using Liberty prints forever” adding that “I have known about Liberty since I was a young boy. My mother used to order Tana Lawn fabric and make us outfits. The store is so beautiful and its history is so rich. “

manolo blahnik liberty londonView of the retail space (left), the Liberty zebra sporting an exclusive scarf and one of the Manolo for Liberty shoes (right).

The small space on the ground floor had been transformed into what resembled an English garden, with the walls painted in light green and paper cut-outs of leaves and other foliage in the same shade forming archways along the room. The shoes themselves were perched on stands near the walls, like exotic birds. It's the first time any of Blahnik's pieces have been made available outside his UK flagship and while all the exclusive Liberty shoes were prominently displayed, many of the FW10 creations were featured as well, including the coveted Mary Jane heels, the furry Arctic boots or the more classic Serderarby pumps.

manolo blahnik liberty londonScarves in shelves (left and lower right) and FW10 boots on display (top right).

manolo blahnik liberty londonCute accessories included cushions, cards and totes. And the famous blue shoe reinvented as a flat for FW10 (lower left. Top right image: Disneyrollergirl).

While plenty of shoppers were going crazy with the shoes, leaving bored boyfriends and husbands behind on the comfortable patchwork couches, most girls (including yours truly) were drawn towards the table near the cash desk which displayed the scarves, scented candles, lavender pouches, wrapping paper, greeting cards, ties, notebooks and umbrellas to name a few - all featuring the adorable illustrated shoe prints. Prices started as low as £5.95 for the handkerchiefs, while items such as the cushions and silk scarves would set you back a little more. All accessories however are definitely a cheaper alternative to the footwear. Come Christmas time, Blahnik will also be curating Liberty's store windows with an emphasis on an 'old-fashioned English feel'.

manolo blahnik liberty londonThe accessories table from afar (left) featuring more tempting items, such as the ties and more scarves (lower right image: Disneyrollergirl).

manolo blahnik liberty londonFur boots, lavender pouches, wrapping paper, cards and more pretty shoes (far right images: Disneyrollergirl).

Those lucky enough to have made it to Liberty's FNO event, where the pop-up-store was first unveiled, had a chance to meet Blahnik in person, who was on hand to sign just about anything. If you're in town next month, you're in luck, since he'll be back in-store (on October 23) to sign copies of his new book 'Manolo's New Shoes'. Even if you don't make it to any event, 'the World of Manolo' will be open for the next three months, so there's still plenty of time to get your hands on one of the cute items or exclusive shoes. And if you're not heading to London anytime soon, fear not - the majority of these pieces are now available from Liberty's online store here.

manolo blahnik liberty londonI couldn't get enough of those accessories... and you can even inhale a Manolo scent thanks to the exclusive candles (lower right image: Disneyrollergirl).

manolo blahnik liberty londonA selection of the accessories such as the scarves (top left, lower center), umbrella, bow tie, lavender pouch, mini cake and even a chocolate shoe (lower right). All images taken from Liberty's online store.

Address: Great Marlborough Street, London W1B 5AH
Opening Hrs: Mon-Sat: 10:00-21:00, Sun: 12:00-18:00

Liberty Homepage & Online Shop

46 comments:

  1. Lovely post - you really are different from other fashion bloggers :)

    xoxo

    Venoma :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there-another gorgeous review and pictures, I really love this collaberation, the print of the shoes are just so original and chic!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore his creations - both footwear and sketches - his ballerinas are the epitome of relaxed chic for the modern woman. Warmly hopes you are well and enjoying Paris, my lovely;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Lusting over those shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this post,it brings SO very much information!!!
    And what a wonderful creations of Manolo Blahnik!

    Thank you for share,

    Hugs,
    ***Violetta***

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this wonderful post ~ love the Liberty prints and the look of the retail shop. The cushions and accessories are fun.
    Good that there are couches for the Husbands and boy friends, who wait patiently.

    Happy weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is an interesting collaboration. Ur post is fantastic as always!

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magnificent post and to be there next month to have Blahnik sign his book would be a thrill. What a great collaboration with Liberty. A win/win for those of us that covet both. I for one will be looking forward to seeing the Christmas windows that Blahnik designs. One just knows they will be filled with his great style & imagination. This post was yet again another one of your informative and knowledgeable reads. Thank you. If our home would just sell, I'd be there in London to see the Liberty's holiday windows for myself!

    Cheers & hoping all is very well across the pond? xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh Manolo.... !
    (glad to be back*°*°*°*)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the shoe prints on the scarfs and things, I'd probably be looking at those a bit more too. You're also right about the sketches... interesting pieces of work!

    http://www.joannefaith.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darling, the shop, shoes and illustrations are all exquisite!
    Really enjoyed this post!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's just fantastic!!! I love the bottom right shoe the most but they're all amazing. Thanks for sharing, sweetie! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, how I would have loved to be in attendance for this! Manolo is the quintessential luxury shoe designer, and Liberty is so British! It's like two of my favorite things put together. Almost as good as a bacon-wrapped hot dog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the footwear. And the sketches are amazing. Must have been such a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going nuts about those Manolo sketches...just love them!

    Happy Monday.

    Cheers: Evi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't it so Liberty? I went to see it this weekend and stroked and cuddled every single shoe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, I am so in love with this post. I truly adore those pillows - the embroidered shoes are so gorgeous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shoes! Love it!!!
    xx

    Johanna, Sweden
    ART

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to watch the Black Swan just for that reason indeed ;D
    Thanks for stopping by!

    I can't wait to be back in London on Friday... and visit Liberty again, and again!
    Love a little Lanvin post as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can see what you mean by it being a bit too dainty; it's a bit too prim for my tastes as well! However, I still appreciate the creativity behind the sketches and I am liking those tweed patterned pumps!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh this looks absolutely amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ah blahnik...just stunning. i love the illustrations - & the shoes too of course!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post, those shoes looks amazing.

    Response>> Thanks sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The most luxurious place...shoe heaven! I love those Carrie's blue pamps!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ummm may I come with you on one of your trips? Just ONE? I am so jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Whoa. Wait. What? Chocolate shoe? That's taking things to a whole new level.

    Looks like so much fun. FNO really isn't big in Vancouver (at all) so it's nice to live vicariously.

    *Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow. It looks amazing. I bet it was wonderful there.

    ReplyDelete
  28. the shoes are all so cute! =)

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm more of a Louboutin girl (as if I had a pair...ha!!), but you can't deny the beauty of a pair of Manolos. Very feminine and like you said...dainty!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous post. I absolutely love the Liberty's!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think I died and went to shoe heaven. Omg. Lol. I absolutely LOVE this store and I wish I could go there...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  32. i prefer louboutins to monolos but its still lovely to see his designs :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. i know what you mean about his shoes. still lovely to see though and liberty is one store i have to see before i die!

    ReplyDelete
  34. like you, i love the drawings! i would rather have the drawings than the actual shoes!

    and the transformation of the space to look like a garden is REALLY FANTASTIC! very creative. very well done. love it!

    and i am CERTAIN i would have been all over the accessories! that is what i usually gravitate towards!

    p.s. the worst questions from your boss?!?! eeeek! bosses are just experts at finding ways to torture us! yeesh!

    ReplyDelete
  35. the royal blue manolos with the giant silver clasp are my DREAM shoe!

    ReplyDelete
  36. i love his sketches... i have a book of them and love how they have become beautiful shoes... great images!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What I love the most about this is not necessarily the fact that it's Manolo Blahnik but rather the way it's all portrayed. With a mixture of that British flair and finesse and some sort of French twist on the sketches (at least to me), there is a vintage feeling to it all. I think it's so hard to have such a presentation without feeling that the whole portrayal is very commercial but the truth is that the attention to detail and the mixture of colors not only makes for something elegant but something unique true to the very own Manolo essence.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh, if only I had the money! I hear they are super comfy as well as beautiful. I love how you give us the inside look of everything. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  39. the patterns on these is pretty nice, I don't think I can afford it though! haha but they're such fun looking heels!

    thanks for your comment hun! and yeah I'm getting sick of hearing lindsay lohan on tv too

    ReplyDelete
  40. This event sounds like so much fun. And may I just say that I adore you for saying Manolos are too "dainty" for you! I wholeheartedly agree and it makes me smile that I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  41. i would also keep myself busy at the table with scented candles and small accessories. Liberty is really a dream world.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This must have been amazing, I wonder what they'll come up for Christmas with!

    ReplyDelete
  43. what a fantastic post. what i love most about liberty are the lovely prints. and im completely embarresed to say i didn't go to the liberty store while i was in london, thanks for sharing so i got a taste of it still.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate every comment, unless it's spam (which will be deleted) and hope you'll visit again soon.

You can now also follow Haute World on Twitter @haute_world!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.