
If there's one label you can credit (or blame) for the abundance of strong shouldered jackets, sequined dresses or shredded and studded pieces you see in every magazine or high street store, it's probably Balmain. As the world was swept up in Balmainia and - despite my initial fascination with the SS09 collection - I was starting to get a little bored of the look, it was hard to escape the coverage of the latest 'it' pieces from the brand. Like many, I would pore over the celebrity shots, runway images or editorials... all of which are perfect settings for the flashy statement outfits. Then I moved to Paris where Balmain became a reality. I still remember being slightly shocked at my first sightings: the overly embellished military jacket on an elderly socialite exiting a cafe in broad daylight, then in Printemps where rows of jackets hung from unassuming racks near the escalators. In the harsh midday sun and halogen glare of the store light respectively, the clothes looked a little 'too much'. Too shiny, over the top and quite tacky. Of course since these pieces are designed for the typical French party girl, they aren't necessarily appropriate for daywear anyway. Like most evening pieces, the majority of Balmain outfits deserve an event or special occasion.
Despite Christophe Decarnin's current sexy and bold signature look for the brand, his first four collections included flowy gowns, pleated skirts and other pieces marked by an elegant simplicity... something that more closely resembled Pierre Balmain's aesthetic of draped and figure-flattering tailoring and a style I personally prefer. Even though the shoulders and sequins don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon and I wasn't the hugest fan of his last few collections, I was glad to see elegant pantsuits and brocade pieces in the FW10 range, a more fitting tribute to Mr. Balmain's legacy than the army look or disco bling from the last two seasons... which were unfortunately almost too easily copied on the high street. And though it might be the victim of far too many knockoffs, Balmain knows exactly who its target group is: the affluent, the aristocrats, young girls stemming from important and influential families, the fashion industry crowd and celebrities. With clients that range from Julia Restoin-Roitfeld and Eugénie Niarchos to Beyoncé and Rihanna, Balmain's only flagship in the world is used to accommodating the rich and famous. Unlike some of its competitors like Louis Vuitton or Gucci it doesn't bother trying to draw in the Average Jane so she'll drop some cash on a scarf or a pair of sunglasses. This boutique wants to represent old-school luxury and as such, it's probably one of the most intimidating designer stores you'll ever come across.
Even though I rarely have issues just waltzing into a designer boutique I must admit, my first trip to Balmain took a bit of courage. Back then, the store was kept in stark white, it was a Saturday yet completely empty except for four SAs who were all very focused on my every move. It was way too quiet (for the first time I wouldn't have minded some elevator music) and because of the simple modern interior, the items looked even more bold and scary than they usually do. But what annoyed me the most, was the store itself. The SA who ended up glued to my side was very friendly and helpful, but the interiors lacked any personality. While most designers inject a little of their own trademark look into a store design, Balmain's was just a little too plain. I didn't really expect Decarnin to hang a giant disco ball from the ceiling or stud the walls with crystals, but the whole boutique was so bland it resembled a showroom rather than a place you'd greet wealthy customers - something that seemed quite ironic considering Balmain's love for architecture.
I guess Decarnin himself must have gotten fed up as well (or somehow heard my complaints): in November 2009 the flagship closed its doors for two months and after a two million Euro makeover, the elegant setting was revealed. One inspired by Pierre Balmain himself, who had found the location in 1945 as it was being vacated by German soldiers after the war and who promptly signed a lease for the first floor apartment where he ended up designing the first collection under his eponymous label.
The flagship in its new look, including the revamped staircase (top) and lower level customer area (bottom right). As a comparison, a view of the stairs from above, taken last year (bottom keft).The store now consists of two floors, the lower of which is relatively small and serves as the entrance and greeting area, along with the cash desk if you do decide to spend a small fortune. It's here you can also catch a glimpse of the first few looks ranging from iconic statement pieces to simple t-shirts. The current setting, which combines a range of Louis XIV inspired furniture, antique busts, a mix of stone and parquet floors, elaborate wall and ceiling details and warm lighting, mixes traditional Balmain elegance with Decarnin's more edgy modern look. Most importantly, it's a lot more welcoming than the previous design - did I mention they now have music? And like the FW10 collection, it has a more luxurious vibe. As it's interesting to see the transformation from simple white to majestic private home, I will include shots from the old store interior as well.
First floor as viewed near the stairs. The old design showcased the sparkly FW09 dresses nicely but was otherwise very bare.
More shots of the previous interiors, which included one large room displaying racks of clothes. I wasn't too fond of the chairs, which reminded me of the ones I see in office conference rooms.
The renovated first floor as viewed from near the stairs again (left) and a shot of the remaining rooms as seen from the front revealing different sections (right).The most imposing element is the grand staircase which leads you to the main boutique area on the first floor. A key look can usually be seen on a mannequin as you reach the mid-level on your way up. When I went a few weeks ago, I spied a very bizarre crocodile jacket (as worn by Daria in the above runway collage, middle image), which as the SA later told me retailed for around 45 000 EUR. Yikes. If you're not willing to spend what some might consider an annual salary or the price of a car on dead animal skin, there are slightly cheaper items of course, but beware that even the less pricey goods, such as the torn jeans or the cotton tops will still set you back at least 900 EUR. As I reached the top floor, where one rack showcased more military khaki green looks from SS10, I could see that what was once a big area had been sectioned off into individual rooms which were connected by two large entryways on either side.
The first room with its large table displaying shoes and perfume. The dress on the wall retails for approx. 16000 EUR and a small changing room can be found conveniently next to it (bottom right).
Approaching the middle room with its comfortable seating area. Menswear is available as well (right).While the first room only contained a few shoes on a big marble table and some very expensive items (including a 16 000 EUR sequined dress) on the wall, the next few spaces resembled large sitting rooms or lounges. Comfortable sofas, elegant sideboards and modern coffee tables made everything look quite sophisticated but also warm. A private boudoir changing room could be found near the front and clothes on gilded racks were placed along the walls to allow for easy browsing. The clothing, while not always my taste, was definitely well made. The jackets felt sturdy, heavy and fit perfectly. Did that justify the high price tag? Perhaps not, but if you're going to get a Balmain, I'd probably recommend you get an iconic piece rather than the cotton t-shirts with the faux shrapnel holes which many might just end up mistaking for the Zara version. The jeans weren't my favorites either, but the sleeveless gold lamé dresses were quite beautiful and I'll never forget the evening gowns with the typical long back but short front I sighted from the previous season.
Some of my discoveries. SS10's military 80s chic and blinged up army outfits, including the very Ed Hardy-esque studded jacket (the over-the-top illustration on the back isn't very visible in the pic), military coats, torn knits and a very tough bullet belt.
More feminine items from last season... the evening gowns and more simple blazers (left). Other views of the old design in the main room include the changing rooms (top right) and an oval room towards the back with more evening looks (bottom right).Footwear and bags used to be hidden away, but they can now be found in the last room where they get their own shelf space. As expected, the Zanotti shoes are edgy and make quite a statement, though the canvas khaki versions are a little more low-key than you'd expect. I spied a bullet belt (800 EUR for those interested) and smaller bags which still looked like last season's pieces. Menswear, nothing as eye-catching as the women's collection, could be found on various racks as well but didn't seem to have their own section. At the very end of the floor a place once reserved for the more elaborate gowns now houses two very spacious changing rooms. As before, I had an SA who accompanied me throughout the store but tried to be more subtle by keeping a distance. This isn't really a place for window shoppers, as the staff are used to having regular buyers, so if you're wary about high-end boutiques, you might want to drop by the department stores instead. I will say that the makeover was worth it and it's probably one of the more beautiful flagships out there, so it's definitely worth a visit if you love the brand.
If you prefer bags and belts, there's a closet for that as well, which also includes a small TV displaying the current season runway show (left). One of two very large changing rooms where the evening wear section used to be (right).Insanely high pricing is just a marketing strategy to keep the label exclusive and having only one flagship in the world limits the distribution somewhat, but I will point out that you can still get Balmain in plenty of boutiques throughout Paris and of course also online. The one thing that has tainted the exclusivity of the brand (for me at least), aside from my frequent Balmain sightings both in-store and on the streets, was seeing all the jackets and dresses during sale season, where they were piled on racks and you'd end up browsing through dozens of the same pieces for half the price or less. A dilemma most designer brands face when they're trying to remain select but still need to earn a decent profit and get rid of old stock.
The Balmain flagship during sale season last summer when temporary racks invaded the floor space in order to display all old stock.
Gotta love licensed products... care for a Balmain weave? (left) Or perhaps some bedsheets and a few pens? (right) Get them now before Decarnin burns them himself...As a side note, Balmain offers even cheaper products - a result of too many licensing agreements during the 80s and 90s, so imagine my surprise when I one day spied Balmain extensions in a hair salon, not to mention the 30 EUR pens that are available in airports or the bed sheets you can get in Asia. I'm sure this causes the brand a few headaches, but revamping the boutique is another great step in getting some of that glitz back. Even if you're not in Paris to see the ultra-chic store yourself, Balmain will be launching an official online store soon, so start saving your hard-earned pennies now...
Address: 44 rue François 1er, 75008 Paris
Opening Hrs: Mon-Sat: 10:30-19:00
Balmain Homepage

Add & Bookmark














Hello, my dear friend!-)*
ReplyDeleteSuch amazing trip about Balmain fashion shop...Thank you SO much for these post!
All photos are really good,I can almost imagine that I am there!
It gives me SO lightly,chic and SO special feeling,because you understand when you saw it that the PERFECTION is being!-)))*
Have a fabulous weekend,
With love and blessings,
***Violetta***
What an amazing boutique! I'm not a huge fan of Balmain's rip things. I have to say... the military style? I am bored it...sometimes... but those sandals are my fav, definitely. ;-)
ReplyDeleteBonjour,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the Balmain tour. I'm not a fan of the military style either, I do love all their vintage clothes. I know...I'm stuck in the past. Great informative post as always!
Hope all is going well with you.
A bientôt,
Mimi
Thanks for a very interesting and informative post, as usual.
ReplyDeleteI am actually a bit anti Balmain at the moment. I used to be able to get amazing vintage Balmain pieces before, but with the latest hype... the prices even for vintage Balmain are crazy now!
So I'm secretly hoping that Balmain will get a bit less popular soon. Purely for selfish reasons, of course ;)
The make-over definitely made for an extremely beautiful boutique. I've got to say I felt quite similar about Balmain lately (= a bit bored with the designs which seemed to become sort of a cliché), also although the low cut trousers look great on models they are not very flattering for normal built women. On the other hand I just had a closer look (and touch) at some Balmain clothes and did appreciate the quality. Even though I would probably spent my annual salary on a different designer the shop looks like a beautiful place to visit.
ReplyDeleteyou are so right -- this look is much better for the nightime. and the revamped boutique looks amazing!
ReplyDeleteIt was great to see around the Balmain boutique and all the wonderful clothes in store.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your amazing review and photos.
Happy weekend
Hugs
Carolyn
I've alway's liked the Balmain look. It's definitely something I could wear, but those who can pull it off look amazing.
ReplyDeleteAnd the actual store looks really elegant.
what an utterly elegant store.
ReplyDeleteHi there-wow, what an awesome and amazing post and you're right, it is so much nicer post makeover, such gorgeous covetable pieces and your photos are just fabulous as usual! Have a great weekend my dear!
ReplyDeleteso amazing. i am indeed a lover of the shoulders. this store is exactly how i would imagine it to be. i have not yet been into a balmain shop. quite stunning.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful images, i didn't expect a Balmain boutique to be quite so elegant. It does jar slightly with their collection but beautiful nonetheless
ReplyDeletexxx
gorgeous images, balmains store looks amazing. i wish i could visit it!
ReplyDeleteXOXO, BECCA
http://fashion-train.blogspot.com
I literally screamed when I saw the words Balmain, as much as I truly am a flower child in peach and cream, Balmain is my true weakness and when I own a piece, oh how my life will be complete(:
ReplyDeleteELBAZ*ELBAZ*ELBAZ*ELBAZ*
ReplyDeletethank for sharing this amazing post !
I think some Balmain peeps might have died if they red the words...Ed Hardyish....ah ha ha. SO funny!
ReplyDeleteOMGGGGGGGGGGGGG that jacket! I can't contain myself!
ReplyDeleteXO THE GIRL IN GREY
Thank you so much for your wonderful *virtual* tours of all these great boutiques - always a joy to visit your great site!
ReplyDeleteHave awonderful week ahead!
XOXO LOLA:)
you can see from how the store looks the prices of the clothes...
ReplyDeletekisses&take.care
it looks like a massive space! I live here but have never been...thanks for the cyber visit!
ReplyDeletexoxo Bardot in Blue
The looks definitely breathtaking, and I'm also in love with their products; a visit here for someone non-celebrity might be a lifetime experience.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely adore Balmain - their Autumn/Winter 09 collection definitely sticks out in my mind.
ReplyDeleteAnd that store... that is what a store should look like!
- Anna Jane x
(PixelatedBlonde.com)
Amazing boutique and designs!
ReplyDeleteI missed that in Paris... but I still have the opinion it is a bit too tacky... prices are tacky, clothes are tacky, shop is tacky... don't know... inspiration is great but the final result is so artificial it doesn't work on me !
ReplyDeleteBut who cares afterall?
oh Balmain... I wish I could just walk in and buy my wardrobe there! :)))
ReplyDeleteI hope you are having a fabulous weekend, dear!
xoxo
The minimalist aesthetic of the shop is phenomenal - so pristine...the perfect way to showcase such fierce clothes!! :)
ReplyDeleteI've been wondering when you're gonna stop by the Balmain store!! I love every single collections and ever since I saw the collections, I've bought about 4 sharp-shouldered jackets, ripped shorts/jeans, and sequin/stud anything! The store looks both intimidating and welcoming at the same time. I love the elegant room setting! xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
ReplyDeleteVery interesting and informative post with great picture, fun to see the changes.
ReplyDeleteyup. balmain is pretty bad ass. i could wear EVERYTHING in those pictures. especially drooling over the shoes.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you addressed the pricing! You made it make sense for me, actually. I just couldn't get my head around $4700 cargo pants and it turns out that me and my wallet are not meant to understand it! So I'll just leave that to those who can afford it and go look at something else. But then the juxtaposition of the fake hair and pens against those prices and a deliberate absence of entry level products - oh, how decisions come back to haunt us!
ReplyDeleteI do believe that if I suddenly had all the money in the world, I would feel very silly and even exploited handing over that kind of cash when I know full well these things can't possibly be worth it, and that I would be feeding into this elitism that exists simply for the sake of it. There's something rather gross about companies pricing their things to maintain or achieve an exclusiveness - again for the sake of it, they may be well made AS THEY SHOULD BE! but it's not art - and expecting that the wealthy will participate because they are more than happy to buy into this idea. Which enough of them do, of course. I also know that if it weren't for the well-executed hype around Balmain that I wouldn't look twice.
I do, however, love the idea of an elderly socialite (I first typed 'socialist' - ha!) in an 'overly embellished military jacket'. Now that I can get into!
Beautiful items, and I love that staircase!
ReplyDeleteHappy Monday!!!
ReplyDeleteOh yeees... I sooo understand... my "soul" is speaking the same things to me ;) had to smile you call it blogging-burnout ;)
The one and only Balmain store in Paris ;)
Can you imagine I never got the chance to take a look closer inside?
What I love about your post is the way you write about the brands discrepancy regarding the prices of their clothes. Add a few zero´s to a price and name it Balmain and you can sell jeans for more than $1000 ;)
Last year I felt so in love with the crystal heels, I simply had to have them: and on the day I finally received them I had to confess: these are the most uncomfortable heels I´ve ever worn ;)... but ... these are my most beautiful heels I have in my closet... soooo... another discrepancy but maybe this is the fact why Balmain is one of the hippest labels around ....
The store looks more than stunning, it would be my wish to be there alone without the 4 SA who would focuse on my every move ;)
Have a lovely week ahead!!
Hope you had an amazing time in Hamburg. Such a long time I was there!I´m sure you´ve found some amazing stores I´ve never heard so far ;)
I spent most of the weekend with a bad cold and fever in bed ;(
but I´m doing better today!
So interesting, what a store! I'm not quite sure what to think! Definitely some flashy and bold pieces here, but sounds like first four collections included elegant simplicity which I also like. Always fun to read your posts...hope you had a fantastic weekend.
ReplyDeletexo
Rachel
you mean the licencing agreements are still valid today? is that why i have a pair of gold/bronze bedroom-slipper-like sandals in my shoe cabinet? they're so cheap i couldn't believe my eyes. i got them in KL. lol.
ReplyDeleteblog response: yes, my bed's covered up with bags and clothes... gimme a space and i'd spread things on it. i'm the type who has to see things out in the open, not tucked away neatly behind shelves.
It is my dream to visit the Balmain shop!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely gorgeous post, darling!
xoxox,
CC
Oh my gracious...I'd be too afraid to even set foot in a store like that. I really enjoyed reading your frank and honest analysis of Balmain though; you don't get this kind of perspective from fashion magazines.
ReplyDeleteGREAT POST!!! I want it all! Items look gorgeous in the photos!
ReplyDeletexox
Ginger Roxy
http://gingerroxy.blogspot.com
wow I can live in that boutique! It looks super nice. I'm a fan of shiny sequins, unfortunately it seems to be only a holiday thing around here -_- I didn't know there are such things as an injection to make your boobs bigger?! That's kind of.. scary? no? hmmm. Still less harmful than plastic surgery I suppose.
ReplyDeletei'm not a balmain girl but it's still fascinating to see inside the store.
ReplyDeleteHair extensions??? OH MY.
ReplyDeleteOh honey, I don't think I'll ever own a Balmain piece, the sky high pricing will make certain of that.
I've missed you, I hope you're well and had a fabulous weekend!
xo
This made me ant to pop in... I'm a Balmainiac!
ReplyDeleteGirlfriend this is a great post!! So long and full of awesome photos. I think I want every pair of shoes in these photos!!
ReplyDeleteI am totally a Balmainiac, too!!
You're right about the austere atmosphere of the pre-renovation boutique versus the warmth of what it looks like now; judging from your photos, the difference is like night and day!
ReplyDeletethis is so beautiful and freezing cold at the same time, I'd be afraid to go in. I'd think the sellers would try to chase me out of the store with torches. just a feeling, you know.
ReplyDeleteoh i wish i had the money to buy somethin from balmain
ReplyDeleteThe new decor looks so amazing~ so crisp & modern!
ReplyDeletexo
Thank u for this interesting and great post. I am a fan of the military look.
ReplyDeletexoxo
I hate Balmain but the inside of the shop looks amazing!
ReplyDeleteMerci beaucoup for your lovely comment - sorry for the late reply!
Stay safe and chic ma chérie,
English Rose x
http://iamanenglishrose.blogspot.com
What an interesting piece! I agree with you about the over-hype of Balmain clothing. And whilst I do have to credit the brand for the emergence of sharp shoulders and some other key trends, paying $15000 for a sequinned jacket just seems a little insane.
ReplyDeleteIs it just me? And I completely agree with you, when the interior is so stark and sterile, its not inviting. Yes, the appeal is for more exclusive customers but they too need some excitement and allure.
Great article and here's to a EUR 30 pen. I kid ;)
amazing pictures love the blog...
ReplyDeletewant to link exchange?
fashionbyhe.blogspot.com
Hello HW!
ReplyDeleteI am back!!
I did saw Balmain in France, but how expensive is that! more than 1.000 Euros for an white shirt!!! It is hard to believe... ;)
Hey gorgeous,
ReplyDeletehow are you? I hope all is well.
What a maravellous posting! It looks like you can have a walk in the store for days.... It looks very huge and very, very beautiful!
I agree with you - in FW09 Balmain became really boring to me. I was so disappointed - I was calling it: "The collection bling-blinged me out of the orbit" - Too much sequins, too much bling rhinestones, too much of the shoulders, too much of everything - to me the collection was without any spirit really. CRUSTY SNOT!
The SS2010 collection was bombastic again. A shabby glam military/biker babe chic. Of course the prices are ridiculous and far beyond price/performance/benefit.
Balmain is asking for a very special customer - with enough of money in the back (in that way enough that you don't speak about it any more). Spending $ 20.000 in a jacket is nothing spectacular there at all. It's hard to set that into a relationship for us ordinary mortals.... :)
What I like most is the influence of Balmain to the fashion industry - to ZARA, to Topshop. They transform the looks to a wearable outfit for the day.
Oh, what a great review! I was hoping you would do one on Balmain! I happen to be in love with clothes by Balmain...The store looks elegant, a bit cold, but in a good way I would say. When it comes to prices I would have to say that there should be a line between expensive clothes and unreasonably expensive clothes. I do understand that Balmain wants to keep luxury title, but I would much rather pay insane amount of money for Haute Couture piece than for a pair of pants or blazer by Balmain. I saw on of the jackets by Balmain on my friend and was very interested to see the quality of craftsmanship - well done, but nothing beyond ordinary.
ReplyDeleteamazing article...tho I like simple and plain the new look of the store is more in line with the brand. I must admit I was under the influence of BalManica for some time but now all that cutting-ripping just makes me tired. I would love that Decarnin goes back in the history of brand. And maybe makes collections for the woman in that song Where do you go to my lovely - "you talk like Marlene Dietrich And you dance like Zizi Jean-Marie
ReplyDeleteYour clothes are all made by Balmain..."
p.s. excited to see more from paris
xoxo
I love Balmain. That must be such a great boutique to visit!
ReplyDeleteHappy Tuesday evening ;)
ReplyDeleteI hope so much the weather will be fine in Italy!
My sister and I love to invite a few times in the year my mom to share a long weekend together in Switzerland and Italy (which means we are going to Milan, rent a car at the airport, going to Lake Como and Switzerland, then back to Milan to visit a friend and then all the way down to Florence; always the same hotel, I could swear we always take the same Autogrill on the way from Milan to Florence ;)
Enjoy the rest of the week in Paris!!
Balmain is a brand that I do like, but it would never be flattering on me nor can I remotely afford any of it anyway. I'm glad they redid the store, it looks MUCH better
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing post! I absolutely adore Balmain, I need to work up the courage to visit next time I'm in Paris
ReplyDeleteGreat post about Balmain. It is definitely of of my favorite brands. Those last year's edgy military jackets are just perfect. This season I think they reinvited the previous collections bout lovin it even tough :D
ReplyDeleteThose figures are making me cringe! Jacket for 45,000... sequined dress for 16,000... goodness, golly! In that case, I probably could never own anything Balmain... or maybe the pen would be just fine. ;)
ReplyDeleteThe place is very intimidating indeed, I could tell even from the pictures. Thanks for braving it for us! =)
thank you for the amazing photos!
ReplyDeletelove,
dancinginchiffon
www.dancinginchiffon.blogspot.com
Just as I would imagine a Balmain store to look like, thinking they are amazing, while being well kinda amazing, and full of all their sparkly clothes. Thanks for visiting it for us!
ReplyDeleteXOXOX
Libby
http://fashionconfectionairy.weebly.com
You are a great story teller. I have heard a lot about his latest collections not being that good. I like them although I can not remember the previous ones. I can image the feeling of entering in a store like this. You described it perfectly.
ReplyDeletexoxo
B* a la Moda
Oh Balmain ! Who doesn't like it ? Haha . But of course the expensive tags make me sad . Lol . Great post ! Love the photos . :) Have a nice day to you ! xoxoox
ReplyDeleteOf course I love it all. Of course, right?! I do so value your take on it all though, you're completely right-it is a little much.
ReplyDeleteONLINE STORE? That is so dangerous.
stunning stunning stunning
ReplyDeleteVery cool! I would have expected an edgier looking store from a label like Balmain, though. But I guess the boutique definitely keeps that sense of... intimidating exclusivity... hahaha
ReplyDeletethe studded leather jacket == SWOON!
ReplyDeletelol those hair extensions Decarnin must be luving those jajaja anyways great post!
ReplyDeleteBalmain is over the top for sure but there are pieces worth the hype
OMG!
ReplyDeletequelle boutique....
Just wow! I loved reading this... especially as I don't think I would ever have the nerve to go inside the flagship store! Such as insight and some great comparisons of the old and new look to the store. I do admit to loving some of the pieces but I'd never really thought about how they'd translate to real life - possibly because it's highly unlikely that I'll own a piece. Doesn't stop me looking on Net-A-Porter though! Love your blog - found you via IFB Links a la Mode. And what a find! x
ReplyDelete